Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: What was your worst day metal Detecting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mine happened in Lithuania. My wife and I had returned there for a visit after being gone for about 4 years. We had hunted there while I was working in the country for about 3 and 1/2 years. It is actually where I started Metal detecting. Never had any problems until this trip.

We were hunting along the edge of a river with about a 10 foot bank. It was close to a church that had been built in the 1400's. I had the headset on and was swing the coil and my wife was digging.

All of a sudden my wife yelled and started backing into the river. I looked up and 4 guy's were coming over the bank and before I could do anything they were on me and had me pinned. My wife had backed out into the river to about chest deep and was not even considering coming in.

We didn't speak their language but through hand gestures they communicated that they wanted the car keys. I said I didn't have them and they figured out my wife must have them. They waved at her to come in but there was no way she was going to do that. At that point they pulled out an automatic pistol and pointed it at my head.
That made my wife come in and give them the keys.

They then hog tied both of us took my billfold and run up the bank. We hear the car start and pull away. The guy that tied my wife up was a young kid and he was worried that he was hurting her so he tied her loosely. Within a few minutes she got her hands loose, untied her feet and then came over to me and got me loose. By the time we got up the bank they were long gone. They got the car, my billfold, my wife's purse, and a Whites XLT (my very first detector).

We were just thankful they didn't try to rape her or kill us both. That pretty much wrecked our day. But true to the hobby we were back out hunting the next day.

So I recommend you pay close attention to what is going on around you where ever you are hunting. It can happen anytime and any place.
Phuey Louey.... that was a close one. Don't go out into the country that far here to run into a similar group of lunatics but glad you made it out, without property but with your lives. Ain't that rough here.... yet. If it ever does I'll go in a group of big guys. I go by myself though. I'll bet they think I'm one of the oldsters from the hood and there's usually a cop cruiser parked somewhere so I get away with it. But good advice. Gotta keep an eye out.
Thank God your both ok. That's why I don't go outside the USA much, not that it can't happen here, but much more unlikely to.
Holy cow!
I think that is about one of the worst things I've ever heard, Mike, detecting related or non. If it had just been a purse snatching or something, while still terrible, no biggie, however...

You had a gun pointed at your head, your wife fell into a river, you were tied up, etc. That right there is hell.

I promise never to complain (too much) anymore because I had a shitty day hunting, because as your story surely points out, it can always be a lot worse.

Joe
You just have to thank your lucky stars and keep going on. That type of thing can happen anywhere and at any time. Just know that you were blessed and don't let it change your life, keep on doing what you enjoy the most with maybe a little more caution.
Reference URL's