Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Thought...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I try not to think too much, as it normally gives me a migraine, and usually leads to trouble, however...

What with all of the hundreds of millions of dollars combined that the metal detecting manufacturers earn, why don't they have any significant muscle in D.C., in the form of lobbyists, lawyers, etc. to help fight for detectorists rights? Think about it; cigarettes, alcohol, violent movies and so forth all have people duking it out for their freedoms, and these are things are BAD. Yet, no problemo, full reign. And here we are, innocent hobbyists enjoying a leisurely pastime, and it seems that this pursuit is becoming more endangered everyday.

Wouldn't it behoove any of these companies to ensure that their products enjoy uninhibited, freedom of use?

When some idiot like Bloomburg wanted to start banning the sale on guns in NYC a few years back, the NRA was IMMEDIATELY ON THE CASE. Front & center (and rightfully so). Imagine if they closed a certain park in lets say, Chicago. Imagine if our hobby had a pitbull attack like that? Heck...

I remember a few years ago, detectorists wanted to get certain places back on the NY hunt permits, as they were casually crossed off about 6 months prior. Just to get simple face time with the lowly parks commissioner was a HUGE ordeal.

Who's fighting for us? And I don't mean some metal detecting federation, or anything like that. I'm talking about someone with deep pockets. Someone who can not only call the shots, but help MAKE them.

Joe
I'll think this through and get something pertinent posted after my 10 hour nap. But you do bring up a good point. My first impression is to organize as a national group and start collecting a PAC fee. Well, good luck. Let me sleep on it.

Ed/ODF
(02-18-2015 11:11 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]I'll think this through and get something pertinent posted after my 10 hour nap. But you do bring up a good point. My first impression is to organize as a national group and start collecting a PAC fee. Well, good luck. Let me sleep on it.

Ed/ODF

Good idea, you can use PayPal.
Good Possibility. Any of you others out there, voice some opinion. Nothing gets started without input that's solid and pertinent to the discussion. Are you detectorists or just men? Thanks Nut.

Ed/ODF
This would take so real organization and leadership. I think it has been tried before through the MDF and since there was not enough income from the detecting community it got no where. I think it would take someone leading the charge beginning with approaching the manufacturing community. They have pockets but I'm not sure how deep. They are having all time high sales so why worry now?

The hardcore detecting community is not all that large so getting enough money out of them is impossible. Getting the newbie community to chip in would be very difficult.

Maybe using a community like Ring Finders where a lobbying recovery fee is charged for every recovery (charge to the person that lost the item) then passed on to the paid lobbyist. There would still need to be a volunteer organization directing the lobbyist.

Just a few weak thoughts.
I know there are two groups out there - Federation and Task Force. Each has a web site but it doesn't seem to get updated that quickly. I believe that when Minelab started the "Go minlabbing days" - they donated to the Task Force for lawyer fees but I could be wrong about amounts and how much was already eaten up -so I really can't comment on that - but we all know they don't come cheaply.
Dick Stout has a web site too and he is always asking for ideas or folks to assist us in doing what you have stated. 
If you have any ideas or questions try his web site or email the Task Force for Metal detecting rights.
Don't get me wrong, or think I'm whining here, fellas. Not doing that at all. Further...

I think entities like FMDAC (Federation of Metal Detecting & Archeology Clubs) and the handful of other groups trying to defend this hobby are WONDERFUL. At least someone is trying to do SOMETHING. Heck, I've donated personally to FMDAC over the years. However...

All I'm getting at is, what have they really accomplished? Would anyone say that an organization like FMDAC or other similar outfits has the same aggression and bark/bite power of something like the NRA? The NRA is EXTREMELY aggressive in protecting the rights of its constituents. They're attack dogs. Very visible in the media. I really don't see that from the organizations like FMDAC. Yes, part of it is probably due to lack of membership and/or funding, which is a shame. But I believe there is a deeper problem. Which is...

We need more muscle behind us. Big business. Big dollars. Expensive mouthpieces. And who better than the manufacturers, whose profits rely on customers being able to freely enjoy their machines wherever they see fit...within reason. I'm not talking about historical areas like battlefields or cemeteries. Rather, parks, wooded sites, federal land, etc.

Imagine if there was a law that was passed tomorrow, where it was suddenly illegal for car owners to park their vehicles in the streets. I'm obviously stretching it a bit here, but you get the point, the big auto guys would go nuts. They'd protect their customers (and profits) and use their muscle to rip the law to shreds. I don't know...

Makes sense to me.

Joe
This pretty well thought through so what next?

http://www.mdhtalk.org/articles/endanage...-steps.htm
Joe, yeah I agree qnd another example is B.A.S.S. - they hold events to promte the hobby - they collect dues and give you a magazine about the hobby activities with sponsers and they lobby for the fishermen....
So I understand what you are getting at and I agree with you
(02-19-2015 08:35 PM)Mike Miller Wrote: [ -> ]This pretty well thought through so what next?

http://www.mdhtalk.org/articles/endanage...-steps.htm

What's next is that someone somwhere will start a meaningful organization, which will then be properly publicized, funded, and then backed by the manufacturers. Or, the manufacturers can get together and do it themselves, which would only make sense, as they have the monies to gain traction, bring on legal advisers, etc. Remember...

They're not just doing it for us, but, more importantly, to protect the longterm profitability of their businesses. What good is selling forty million dollars worth of metal detectors when your customers are running out of viable spots to hunt?!

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's