Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Great White in The Gulf of Mexico
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That is pure nuts. Always cause for concern, and we detectorists should always take extra precaution when hunting in the water Yes Though...

Statistically, one would actually have a better chance of getting hit by lightening (which in and of itself is QUITE rare) than being attacked by a shark. IMO...

The common jellyfish, as well as riptides are some of the most important hazards when beach hunting. You won't die from a jellyfish bite, but, DAMN, are they painful. And if someone doesn't know how to escape a strong riptide, they're in trouble.

Have you even been close to a shark in the water, Mike? Do they immediately close the beach, what's the procedure?

Joe
I have been close to a shark while hunting but never bothered. If I see one I will back slowly out of the water until it is gone, but don't worry much about them. Generally the most aggressive ones around here are Bull sharks. I have never heard of a beach closure for sharks here on the gulf side. We have a high count of shark attacks here in Florida, but mostly on the east coast and we also have a very high lighting strike count here in Florida. I worry more about lightning than sharks. I have never heard of a metal detector being attacked by a shark, mostly on the gulf side it is people fishing in the water and then vary rare.
Damn! Thats my old teenage stomping grounds!Ive seen big hammerheads nearby in Destin. Basically why I dont swim in the ocean!
(03-03-2015 10:22 PM)Mike Miller Wrote: [ -> ]I have been close to a shark while hunting but never bothered. If I see one I will back slowly out of the water until it is gone, but don't worry much about them. Generally the most aggressive ones around here are Bull sharks. I have never heard of a beach closure for sharks here on the gulf side. We have a high count of shark attacks here in Florida, but mostly on the east coast and we also have a very high lighting strike count here in Florida. I worry more about lightning than sharks. I have never heard of a metal detector being attacked by a shark, mostly on the gulf side it is people fishing in the water and then vary rare.

We occasionally get sightings around here, but it's pretty rare. The few times it's happened they would temporarily close the beach for a day or two. That's why you need to detect with someone that's out of shape, Mike. Like the old bear joke. "I don't need to outrun the bear, just the guy standing next to me!!!" Lol.

(03-03-2015 11:00 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Damn! Thats my old teenage stomping grounds!Ive seen big hammerheads nearby in Destin. Basically why I dont swim in the ocean!

Sharks?! Phew, they ain't $hit compared to some of the loons where you hunt in Stockton! Hahaha

Joe
Bandit
(03-03-2015 11:00 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Damn! Thats my old teenage stomping grounds!Ive seen big hammerheads nearby in Destin. Basically why I dont swim in the ocean!

Yer funny Ray!

Just freekin BLAST em in the skull with a 45 70 or semi auto 30 06 like we used to do! lol Yes

Had a LOTTA fun out on the gulf as a commercial fisherman back in the late 80s!

Beer
Reference URL's