Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Old Find, still cool...RR Lock
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Nice lock!! If Micah Moore sees this,he has a killer book on them.Ray
Thanks guys...it was nice find. Wish I had found the key to go along with it.

(03-19-2015 07:12 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Beautiful lock!!! Did you find that in the woods? I'm not too far from Newark. It was once a large manufacturing hub, mostly employing first generation immigrants from Poland, Italy, Ireland, etc. There were MANY goods made here, and the Newark stamp is quite common on relic type pieces throughout the northeast.

I'll do a google search for you on the lock, and pop back in if I find anything. Again, terrific find Yes

Joe

Joe, I actually found it in an open area where an old barn/house was still standing. One of those spots you see while driving and just have to stop and detect
It's from the United States Military Railroad. With the enactment of the Railways & Telegraph Act of January 31, 1862, President Lincoln was authorized to take control of U.S. railroads in order to expedite the war effort. Those lines which were seized in order to enforce compliance were organized as the United States Military Railroad, which was headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia. Later on, captured Southern lines became part of it as well. Whether classified as a Civil War relic or a railroad collectible, your lock is a $275-350 find. In fact, a non-dug one in choice condition recently fetched over $565 at auction; but frankly, that's pretty steep.

This is a post from Mark Parker on the exact lock another guy found in KY and asked about on the "Ask Mark Parker" forum/website some time back. I would post the link showing it (has a pic of your lock) but it's against the rules to link other websites here I think - so I won't.

Cool find! Yes

Beer

PS

in case you don't know who Mark Parker is

he's a walking encyclopedia of historical knowledge and is well known in many detecting/treasure forums as being such (or in other words) if you ever want to know what something is or any info about a historical find/relic = he's the man to ask. There's no one I know with more knowledge than him when it comes to US artifacts of the last 250 yrs and there's some really knowledgeable guys out there but not on HIS level...
Great information - I like finding old locks
I've just went to that site bulletbob, good information there.
(03-21-2015 07:37 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]It's from the United States Military Railroad. With the enactment of the Railways & Telegraph Act of January 31, 1862, President Lincoln was authorized to take control of U.S. railroads in order to expedite the war effort. Those lines which were seized in order to enforce compliance were organized as the United States Military Railroad, which was headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia. Later on, captured Southern lines became part of it as well. Whether classified as a Civil War relic or a railroad collectible, your lock is a $275-350 find. In fact, a non-dug one in choice condition recently fetched over $565 at auction; but frankly, that's pretty steep.

This is a post from Mark Parker on the exact lock another guy found in KY and asked about on the "Ask Mark Parker" forum/website some time back. I would post the link showing it (has a pic of your lock) but it's against the rules to link other websites here I think - so I won't.

Cool find! Yes

Beer

PS

in case you don't know who Mark Parker is

he's a walking encyclopedia of historical knowledge and is well known in many detecting/treasure forums as being such (or in other words) if you ever want to know what something is or any info about a historical find/relic = he's the man to ask. There's no one I know with more knowledge than him when it comes to US artifacts of the last 250 yrs and there's some really knowledgeable guys out there but not on HIS level...

Thanks! I have actually seen that post you are talking about and although it is the same style lock...I dont think the company that used the one i found was military related. That guys actually had lettering on it for the military...mine says A&GW for Atlantic & Great Western
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's