Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Cleaning a crusty old V nickel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
These 2 V nickels I found last weekend. One is 1910 and the other 1900. Today I took them out and photographed both side by side to show what they looked like. Then I decided to attempt cleaning the 1900 since it looked the worst. First I did the hot peroxide. I took a shot glass filled it half way with peroxide and boiled in the microwave(about 20 seconds). Then dropped the nickel in til it cooled down and repeated this several times. This took alot of the crud off. It still was kinda crusty though. Then I took a soft kids toothbrush. Dipped it in a cup of water and then baking soda and scrubbed the coin. You can see the detail of the coin a whole lot better now. I still would like to clean it up more. Any ideas?
Never heard of the hot peroxide treatment. Looks like it worked. I soaked mine in OTC ammonia for about 20 minutes and then hit it with a brass brush under hot water. That's pretty rough but it was rough anyway. I'll try the peroxide next time.
a little vinegar and salt and let it sit overnight. repeat if necessary.
(04-26-2015 06:23 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]a little vinegar and salt and let it sit overnight. repeat if necessary.

I'll try that too! Thanks Ron.
Complete description-- I got this from a friend on another forum.

For cu/ni nickels, use a solution of 1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar, a teaspoon of salt, and a teaspoon of water. Place coin in solution, preferably on edge to reduce soaking time. After a couple hours, remove from solution and rub with baking soda. If desired look has not been reached, place coin back in solution, then use baking soda rub again....this method tends to give the nickels a matte gray finish, "not" a shiny surface like on a new nickel. If you want a shiny surface on the nickels, use a fine brillo pad.
(04-27-2015 04:44 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Complete description-- I got this from a friend on another forum.

For cu/ni nickels, use a solution of 1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar, a teaspoon of salt, and a teaspoon of water. Place coin in solution, preferably on edge to reduce soaking time. After a couple hours, remove from solution and rub with baking soda. If desired look has not been reached, place coin back in solution, then use baking soda rub again....this method tends to give the nickels a matte gray finish, "not" a shiny surface like on a new nickel. If you want a shiny surface on the nickels, use a fine brillo pad.

Thanks Ron. I'll give that a try.
Final result. I did the salt and vinegar soak suggested by Ron. Then a light brillo scrub. Then a little toothbrush and toothpaste. The vinegar soak is amazing. It takes the brown color right off. It does leave a dull grey color though. I am happy with the results. It looks like a nickel again.
Reference URL's