Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Where/What was your 1st silver?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm glad Tony beat me to it, because I don't remember my first silver either. I know it had to be either a merc or Washington and it was dug in my yard. At that time I didn't know it was all that special of a thing. I was using a Bounty Hunter Jr that my 5 year old wanted for his birthday. I hadn't read any forums or anything. Detecting my yard first, I got to thinking that silver and wheaties would be everywhere. Then we took that tiny little detector to the park and started pulling old coins there too. First trip to the park we got a 1901 V nickel. I remember that one well. So I don't remember my first silver, but I do remember my first V nickel. I gotta get back to the park with that little machine. It's a coin killer.
(07-07-2015 12:33 AM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I'm glad Tony beat me to it, because I don't remember my first silver either. I know it had to be either a merc or Washington and it was dug in my yard. At that time I didn't know it was all that special of a thing. I was using a Bounty Hunter Jr that my 5 year old wanted for his birthday. I hadn't read any forums or anything. Detecting my yard first, I got to thinking that silver and wheaties would be everywhere. Then we took that tiny little detector to the park and started pulling old coins there too. First trip to the park we got a 1901 V nickel. I remember that one well. So I don't remember my first silver, but I do remember my first V nickel. I gotta get back to the park with that little machine. It's a coin killer.

Don't know how you can forget your 1st silver, guys?! That merc is etched in my mind like stone. Maybe because it took so long to find! Lol.

Joe
Yeah, I don't know why either but that ring, my first large cent and first play money for whatever stand out right now
Back in the early 70's I was detecting with a Tom cat detector. I was detecting a wooded area by our house, working an old woods road . I dug my first silver but it wasn't a coin but a silver St. Christopher medal what I still have today. I guess he is still showing me the way !!!!
I was able to locate a list from 1991 - the year I bought a Garett CXIII.
I owned a Garett Freedom Ace (bought used) the year before but didn't detect much with it. I felt that the world was looking at me all of the time.
That is the machine I found the silver ring and the play money coin.

So on my list the first silver coin was a Roosevelt dime with that new machine March 1991.

I wish I had a list from 1990 but can't find it right now. Should be in the pile in the attic but that is for another time.
(07-07-2015 10:40 PM)bulletbob Wrote: [ -> ]Back in the early 70's I was detecting with a Tom cat detector. I was detecting a wooded area by our house, working an old woods road . I dug my first silver but it wasn't a coin but a silver St. Christopher medal what I still have today. I guess he is still showing me the way !!!!

That's funny, Bob, as I too wear a silver St. Christopher medallion I found. Matter of fact, it rarely comes off. Forget where I found it, but it's one of my favorite pieces Yes

(07-10-2015 04:55 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]I was able to locate a list from 1991 - the year I bought a Garett CXIII.
I owned a Garett Freedom Ace (bought used) the year before but didn't detect much with it. I felt that the world was looking at me all of the time.
That is the machine I found the silver ring and the play money coin.

So on my list the first silver coin was a Roosevelt dime with that new machine March 1991.

I wish I had a list from 1990 but can't find it right now. Should be in the pile in the attic but that is for another time.

I used to think the EXACT same thing. When I first started out, I probably looked like some kid from the suburbs hoping to score drugs or something. I used to wait in my car until people would scatter, my eyes would be darting all over the place, it felt like (and probably appeared) as if I was on a covert mission! I was worried I would get stopped, people would stare at me and all that stuff. Doesn't even faze me now. I'm a hardened detectorist! Chuckle

Joe
My mom is to blame for my metal detecting addiction. She bought a Whites Coinmaster Pro about 5 years ago after threatening to buy a detector for two years. Well, when she got it she brought it ove for me to help her set it up. I put it together and got it going and we went out in the yard and of course we were both confused as to what we were hearing. I did some more research and we went back out and started finding clad all over the yard. I gave it a go and swung for a few minutes and got that sweet high tone we all love to hear, i dug it and pulled a silver quarter out of the hole. 5 minutes later i dug another silver quarter....i got to thinking, hmmmm. lol
 The next day I took the unit to a local speedway and learned the frustration of pulltabs and trash every 6"...got so frustrated i started to leave. I went two or three steps and got a sweet high tone, 6" deep. I dug it and pulled a Barber quarter out of the hole...i freaked out, didnt go another foot and got another hit...this time it was a Barber half dollar 6" and 12" from the first hole...that was it I was flat hooked.
(07-14-2015 10:39 PM)indiana_mike Wrote: [ -> ]My mom is to blame for my metal detecting addiction. She bought a Whites Coinmaster Pro about 5 years ago after threatening to buy a detector for two years. Well, when she got it she brought it ove for me to help her set it up. I put it together and got it going and we went out in the yard and of course we were both confused as to what we were hearing. I did some more research and we went back out and started finding clad all over the yard. I gave it a go and swung for a few minutes and got that sweet high tone we all love to hear, i dug it and pulled a silver quarter out of the hole. 5 minutes later i dug another silver quarter....i got to thinking, hmmmm. lol
 The next day I took the unit to a local speedway and learned the frustration of pulltabs and trash every 6"...got so frustrated i started to leave. I went two or three steps and got a sweet high tone, 6" deep. I dug it and pulled a Barber quarter out of the hole...i freaked out, didnt go another foot and got another hit...this time it was a Barber half dollar 6" and 12" from the first hole...that was it I was flat hooked.

I'd be hooked, too!!! 2 silver quarters on your first hunt, and then 2 more on your second...and barbers, to boot!!! I'm still looking for the elusive barber half, myself. That's funny about your mom, she probably got sucked in from those slick Whites' commercials, they got me also! Yes I saw the guy standing by his new truck he bought from cashing in the ring he found (ha!), and called right up and ordered an MXT!!! Lol. That was a great machine, with a lot of good memories. Great story, Mike Beer

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's