Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Best metal detector under $1000?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, I am going crazy trying to figure out which brand and model is the most effective for the money with a budget of $1000 or less. I have done some research
but its hard to find an unbiased opinion on the internet. So I thought I would ask the experts and experienced users in this forum. I am new at this and dont want to go down the wrong road due to some slick salesperson. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
(07-09-2015 01:09 AM)dwhigley Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I am going crazy trying to figure out which brand and model is the most effective for the money with a budget of $1000 or less. I have done some research
but its hard to find an unbiased opinion on the internet. So I thought I would ask the experts and experienced users in this forum. I am new at this and dont want to go down the wrong road due to some slick salesperson. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

A lot of variables when choosing a new detector. My AT Pro is considered a mid range machine. I would highly recommend it. It is very versatile and has a lot of options. It is also very fast for a mid range machine. I like that it is multi tone.

Some machines take longer to learn. That should be a consideration. Do you want to turn on and go or take the time to learn a machine ? I would also suggest that you allow enough to buy some gear. Like a hand digger , finds bag , pinpointer and a shovel. All necessary detecting utensils.

There are hunters on this forum who are a lot smarter and more experienced than I. Hopefully they will chime in as well. Good luck and happy hunting.
Before most people here will give advise they will need to know more info as to your intended use as there are different machines. Do you plan on beach, water,land and is the area you intend to hunt highly mineralized. Do you have any experience with any machine as the drop out rate for newbies is very high due to digging so much junk before finding the goodies. If you decided not to continue the you have a expensive machine sell and possible lose money on. Most people will stear you toward a mid level machine then as you learn more about the hobby and know you will continue upgrade your machine as desired as the location where you detect has more to do with good finds than the detector itself.
Opinions are by nature biased , that's why they're opinions and not fact.
Definitely need more info on the type of detecting you're planning on doing because if you add the used detectors into your search , there are really only 2 or 3 that you CAN'T buy for under a grand
I am looking at the AT Pro , as a backup detector because you can use it on land and water. I have watched a lot of videos on all kinds of machines and this seem to be what I'm looking for.I would suggest if you are near a dealer go and see for yourself the difference and learn what they say about the difference detectors.
dwhigley, all great points stated above, let us know what your intentions are and if you have already been detecting - then how long? Are you a senior, then weight might be a consideration.

If you are starting out and really not certain if you will like the hobby then buying a used one to start off is a possibility. Less cost and easy to recoup cash if you don't want to
stay with the hobby.
(07-09-2015 01:04 PM)BIG TONY Wrote: [ -> ]dwhigley, all great points stated above, let us know what your intentions are and if you have already been detecting - then how long? Are you a senior, then weight might be a consideration.

If you are starting out and really not certain if you will like the hobby then buying a used one to start off is a possibility. Less cost and easy to recoup cash if you don't want to
stay with the hobby.
whigley, I agree with Bigtony!

Finding a decent used detector is a great way to get into the hobby, learn about the technology of metal detecting, and all the variables that come into play (ie) mineralization of the ground, co-located targets that your machine will pick up, electro magnetic interference (EMI), iron items in the ground, and the list goes on and on.

My first recommendation is to know your hunting conditions. In other words, are you going to beach detect, relic hunt, coin hunt, etc as well. This FOR ME, is very important information to know before I recommend a unit to my friends or family...Bubba
Good points and alright points Not going to steer you any way right now. New or used as we dealers need to make a dollar once in a while to stay in business
A lot of people that are just starting like to buy new as they want to make sure they have a good machine to start not someone else's junk.
As for brands they all make good ones I would suggest stay with the top 4 companys and get a mid range machine weather a water machine or a land machine or one that can be used for both.
If you can find a club by you that helps as you can ask question and maybe use someone to get a hands on
Hope it helps feel free to contact me with questions
Steve
(07-09-2015 01:09 AM)dwhigley Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I am going crazy trying to figure out which brand and model is the most effective for the money with a budget of $1000 or less. I have done some research

New or used?  What will you be hunting?  Where will you be hunting?  Need accessories too?
Ive been using the at pro for around 3 years now, and i can say once you learn the machine inside and out, its deadly.  I mostly hunt relics, in places LOADED with iron and the AT has an awesome iron discrimination with an iron audio option.  I use my machine in the pro zero option, if i am hunting a place that is just too loaded with iron, i set the machine on pro zero, iron discrimination at 28 and turn iron audio on.  It works extremely well with that.  I also have the nel snake coil which works awesome as well.  Now this is all my personal opinion but i really cant think of another machine this versitile for under 1k.  And its water proof too. Anyways good luck and happy hunting
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's