Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Here we go again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yet another treasure hunting show coming soon, this one called; "Rebel Gold" Lol

Let's see how badly this one portrays the hobby. If the people starring in these shows care about this hobby, they simply wouldn't do them, but I guess some are ruled only by the lure of the almighty dollar. Bottom line, most of these "reality" shows are being made to sell detectors. It's a business, I get it. And we all have to make a living. But, why destroy our hobby in the process?

I think the excessive publicity brings too much attention (much of it negative), and more importantly, seeks to attach a price/value to this pursuit, which any detectorist worth his/her salt will tell you is NOT the reason they partake in our hobby.

Joe
This may be more along the lines of Snake Island. i.e: Pick a treasure tale and chase it down vs just out finding random treasure.

I personally know and have hunted with most of the guys on this show and curious to see how it shakes out.

Ron
Here is more information on the show http://press.discovery.com/us/dsc/programs/rebel-gold/
I don't know who stars in it, saw a short article on a nature website about it. We'll see, based on every show that's been on already, can't really hope for much. I mean, there were what, 4 or 5 detecting shows on at one point? Boom baby is gone, Dig Wars is gone, all of them. I think Ladd"s show got the ax, too. It's INCREDIBLY difficult to capture REAL detecting in a tv show. Why? Because most of it is pretty boring, and monotonous most of the time. The general public doesn't want to be bored, so the producers spice things up with dumb antics. And guess what? Then they lose the hardcore, true hunters like us.

I'm no fan of the archies, but I can see why they look down upon us after watching these asinine shows.

I'm hoping for the best, but fully expecting the worst Happy

Joe
Joe I know some of the people are the same ones as last year or year before show
(09-02-2015 07:42 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Yet another treasure hunting show coming soon, this one called; "Rebel Gold" Lol

Let's see how badly this one portrays the hobby. If the people starring in these shows care about this hobby, they simply wouldn't do them, but I guess some are ruled only by the lure of the almighty dollar. Bottom line, most of these "reality" shows are being made to sell detectors. It's a business, I get it. And we all have to make a living. But, why destroy our hobby in the process?

I think the excessive publicity brings too much attention (much of it negative), and more importantly, seeks to attach a price/value to this pursuit, which any detectorist worth his/her salt will tell you is NOT the reason they partake in our hobby.

Joe

Joe I'm good with it if they are looking for a specific treasure as is the case here apparently. I really do hope they show the amount of preparation it requires to begin such a journey. That would at least show the public that if you're wanting to pursue these kinds of treasures then it's a lot of work.

I have had to explain to many that see my finds that there's a lot of cans and beaver tails involved. Not to mention roofing nails and other random trash we find.
It sounds like a history/treasure hunt but wait and see what happens.
Thanks for the information - I hope I can watch it and it is worth it.
The problem with ALL of these shows is...

They're loaded right from the get-go. Think about it...

If they find the "rebel gold" (lol) in the first episode or two, there is NO MORE SHOW. That wouldn't be smart, would it? So, they're going to build the whole thing up, hype it to death, and milk it for all it's worth. It's show biz, not real hunting. Also...

Does anyone really think if the stars of these shows ACTUALLY knew about the location of a hoard of gold, that they would want to be tailed by a production crew? I know I wouldn't, for obvious reasons.

I don't dislike the actors in these shows, and even some of the shows themselves. Rather, I don't like how they PORTRAY the hobby, and the way they dumb things down just for easy ratings.

I'll give it a shot for an episode or two, and, hey, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. But I think that's a long shot. I've mentioned GREAT shows here before...

Mudlarkers was fantastic. The Detectorists (while fictional) displays more accuracy than most of "reality" treasure hunting shows. Ron and a bunch of other guys on YT do killer videos, which are a pleasure to watch. Some of these other programs though, are basically big pitches for the detector companies, and merchandising bonanza's for the networks.

Nuff said Wink

Joe
Better than anticipated!!

I was actually entertained the entire 40 minutes of the show.

Decent history lesson and not overly scripted.

I'll watch the next one.
I'm the type of person, if I was wrong, I admit it. Just who I am. On that note...

Admittedly, the show was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be, but, for my tastes, I won't be tuning in again. I didn't catch the premier episode, just a rerun 2 days ago.

1. Not really specific to metal detecting.

2. Based on guesses or assumptions on where the gold MIGHT be, they look to start tearing apart museums, and bring in a backhoe to dig a giant crater in the woods. Guesswork? Evidence? None of that was ever shared, only "it might be here, let's dig!"

3. The scripted drama was not necessary, and some was downright childish. Calling Mike Scott a "yankee" was behavior fitting for a 5 year old...on what's supposed to be a serious, educational type program. Again, almost 100% positive that was scripted (as was the rest of the show), so I don't take offense by the fella"s statement, but gimme a break. Would they have even dared to call the black guy a ni**er?

4. They don't film just one show, they film 3 or 4, and then hope the network picks it up. So, they already know if gold has been found, as they're 4 episodes ahead of us. If it was, don't you think we would've already heard about this magnificent discovery? Aside from smaller items, the main treasure will never be found, because that would end the series. The REAL money is in the show. So, they'll use the old carrot on a stick trick to keep viewers interested every week, just like Gold Rush, and all of the other programs.

I can surely see the show being a hit with the unaware, layperson sitting in their armchair at home, who wouldn't know any better, but for us jaded, discerning treasure hunters, IMO, it doesn't pass the smell test.

P.S. ~ One would think after the whole charade with Boom Baby, they wouldn't go near a backhoe with a 50 foot pole, but no such luck.

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's