Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #52 1910 D Barber Qtr., Buffs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got a late start today to a place where I've found a lot of silver. This area from stem to stern is about 125 acres. I've been through it about 30 or more times. Each time I expand my walk from end to end by about 3 meters. The majority of the middle of the area was farmland back through about 1930. The large wide perimeter of the area is heavily wooded and contains oaks, hickory, ash and pine that are, in some cases, hundreds of years old. During the early Spring, the center section is full of water filled bogs and a real task to hunt. The deer and turkey are plentiful, and the entire area is simply loaded with headstamps and shell casings and bullets and slugs. This is also the area where I found that Boy Scout troop camp in the Spring, and I occasionally pass through it to see if anything popped up.

So, to make a long story short, this day I set myself upon going to the ridge area above, not a real ridge, but a topped off plateau about 10 feet above the gradually sloping area below. To my North is a 70 year old housing development. About another 10 or so trips until I reach the border of the Park property line.

About 5 minutes after I start detecting on the top of that ridge, I get this screwy 3-17, 4-19, split my ear drums tone. I say no way. This is a jacketed bullet or a something brass or nickel. Pop the plug, 1910 D Barber Quarter. Now this is a really strange result. Re-sweep, 20-07, 12-07, high mid tone, dig, Buff; re-sweep, dig, Buff. Strangest find I have ever made. All were at around 4 or 5 inches and within 2 or three inches of each other in the sides of the original plug.

So if it's a high tone, and the numbers are screwy but NOT IRON, you best dig it.

The 47 Wheat was from the same area but much further away.

Have fun out there and Happy Hunting!!

ODF
Congratulations Ed, keep em coming
Man you are sure finding a lot of quarters, CONGRATS!
Wish I could find some finds like that.
That a helluva pull, Ed Beer You're having a phenomenal season Wink

Joe
Wow Ed. You are smokin. I need to catch up on the forum here. I see you're close to 60 already.
(09-15-2015 02:30 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]That a helluva pull, Ed Beer You're having a phenomenal season Wink

Joe

Thanks Joe! I'm trying to get out every day regardless of the weather. I just keep hitting these woods and they just keep giving up. This had to be a hunter or a farmer spill. I was walking to some known sites I've found and wasn't even really paying attention when the high tone stopped me dead in my tracks. This is a large distance from my target area. And even though the numbers were real screwy, the tone was the giveaway. Glad I stopped and looked it over.

Ed/ODF

(09-18-2015 08:55 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Wow Ed. You are smokin. I need to catch up on the forum here. I see you're close to 60 already.

Thank you Will! I am up to 58 as of today. This site is just loaded with silver. Today's tally will give me 29 silvers from this expanse of woods, this year. And there are so many places I haven't even touched. I suspect that these areas, except for a couple of finds, were BSA Troop camps from the past. It may look like a deer trail, but follow it on both sides to 10 feet in. I've pulled half of those that way and the other half at the campsites themselves.

Ed//ODF
Reference URL's