Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: French WW1 Medallion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got out with Gerry F., today. Slim pickens! Ground isn't perfect, but MUCH better Happy

I got about 9 or 10 wheats today, but my 3 best keepers were the items below, one of which is my most awesome find ever. VERY cool. I was really stumped as to what it was, and it took me a while to research it. I wound up finding only ONE example, which was being sold on ebay, last year.

It's a French WW1 medallion that used to be sold on the streets of France, in order to raise aid money to send comforts to French POW's. It has 1916 on the back, with a dove. I've included a description the seller posted, below the last photo. I didn't see it until after I took the photo, but there appears to be an inscription on the front side of the piece. Mine appears sterling, so need to research it more. Supposedly, extremely rare.

The spot Gerry & I hit today has been plastered by us, and others. I've pulled a lot of stuff from there, but it's pretty much dead now. My rule of thumb is, when it's getting very hard to find deep mid/high tones, it's time to move on. So, gotta hit the bricks, and work some other venues.

Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

Joe
Nice digs Joe!

Beer
"For Our Prisoners". That Joe is an OUTSTANDING find!! And yet another IH!

I for one have to agree with you in the case of moving along to another area. I've often thought to myself about the beach and swimming hole hunters who have a renewable resource yearly. But in our case, where we are pounding a site year after year, sometimes to a point where in my case I say to myself literally, "There can't be anything left there.". But as usual, something turns up. I fear the day though when the sites get pounded out and new territory has to be found. So the best of luck to you on the next trip!

ODF
Awesome finds !!! Now I am jealous........Yes
Joe, you did well from a hunted out site, good luck on the next one
(10-04-2015 08:02 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]"For Our Prisoners". That Joe is an OUTSTANDING find!! And yet another IH!

I for one have to agree with you in the case of moving along to another area. I've often thought to myself about the beach and swimming hole hunters who have a renewable resource yearly. But in our case, where we are pounding a site year after year, sometimes to a point where in my case I say to myself literally, "There can't be anything left there.". But as usual, something turns up. I fear the day though when the sites get pounded out and new territory has to be found. So the best of luck to you on the next trip!

ODF

Thanks, everyone Yes

Ed, you know, there's always more. Sure, we can always go back and snag a goodie, or two, but the question then becomes...

Is the time expenditure worth the reward? Consider this...

I hunted this place the other day, when I got that FDR token. 5 hours. Today I did another 6 hours. Gerry's time today was about 4 hours. All told, that's FIFTEEN man hours, and not a single silver. Bad. In general...

I believe if someone isn't finding at least one silver every few hours, the spot is kinda dead. Of course, I'm speaking only from a coin hunting perspective, as I don't look for jewelry on land, or clad.

There are exceptions, of course. If I'm not finding any silver at a spot, but I'm pulling up large cents, v nickels, relics, etc., I'm not going anywhere, lol. But if I'm not finding those things AND not finding silver, I'm pretty much wasting my time.

Onto the next spot!!!

Joe
Joe that medal is AWESOME. I'd call it better than any of the coins we dig. Great find.
Awesome find Joe!!
RJ YesYes
Reference URL's