Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: About Fu&%ing Time!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(11-15-2015 10:55 PM)biggredd1972 Wrote: [ -> ]Very nice congrats, whats next on the bucket list?

A lot, lol. Still waiting on a trime, morgan, seated half, and one of the bigger reals, as I only have the smaller ones. What about you, Redd?

Joe
Right on Joe, its a beauty!
Terrific find! Congratulatulations! Man that would make us all very happy diggers for a good month or two.....WTG
(11-15-2015 11:09 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-15-2015 10:55 PM)biggredd1972 Wrote: [ -> ]Very nice congrats, whats next on the bucket list?

A lot, lol. Still waiting on a trime, morgan, seated half, and one of the bigger reals, as I only have the smaller ones. What about you, Redd?

Joe

Just getting back out there for starters , then love to find a large cent a Morgan or any big silver for that matter but most of all $20 double eagle of course. Lol
Unless it's a private property, or a virgin public spot, Morgans must be extremely difficult to find. Heck, just finding halves has been damn near impossible for me. So, that someone would've missed a coin the size of a Morgan in 30+ years of metal detecting would be highly improbable, IMO. Yes, it could happen, but I'm guessing not often. Again, I'm talking in most spots that have been hunted well over the years, not private yards or untouched land. But...

We know they're out there. We just have to get our coil over them at the right time.

Trimes are a bit tougher to find, also. Guys who've found them told me their smaller size & thinness make them hit as low as foil or nickel on units. As I only tend to dig nickel signals if they're deep, I might very well miss one.

I think one of the beauties of detecting is, the chase is always on, it's never-ending. Always more stuff to find, more knowledge to gain, etc. It keeps you on your toes. It can be maddening at times, but if it were easy, it wouldn't be much fun Yes

Joe
(11-16-2015 12:08 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Unless it's a private property, or a virgin public spot, Morgans must be extremely difficult to find. Heck, just finding halves has been damn near impossible for me. So, that someone would've missed a coin the size of a Morgan in 30+ years of metal detecting would be highly improbable, IMO. Yes, it could happen, but I'm guessing not often. Again, I'm talking in most spots that have been hunted well over the years, not private yards or untouched land. But...

We know they're out there. We just have to get our coil over them at the right time.

Trimes are a bit tougher to find, also. Guys who've found them told me their smaller size & thinness make them hit as low as foil or nickel on units. As I only tend to dig nickel signals if they're deep, I might very well miss one.

I think one of the beauties of detecting is, the chase is always on, it's never-ending. Always more stuff to find, more knowledge to gain, etc. It keeps you on your toes. It can be maddening at times, but if it were easy, it wouldn't be much fun Yes

Joe

I took a buddy to a virgin site (farmland) that we're pretty sure has never been hunted before then

we get there, hop out, get set up, turn on machines - he goes left - I go right - not 2 minutes in he shouts "got one" - I turn and he tosses something at me - I watch it fly through the air and catch it in my hand - look and it's an 1878 CC Morgan in solid VF condition!!!

to say I was PO'ed is an UNderstatement cuz all I found was a flat button and some do dads - but also - it was MY site that I did the research on, and got permission to hunt, etc as he's from way down south of me like 2 hrs and just came up for the day to hunt with me!!!!!!!

and as for "Trimes" (AKA) 3 cent silvers = yeah - they do not read/sound like "silver" in the least bit -

most guys would/do pass right over them IF they are lucky enough to pass a coil over one because they sound like a weak nickel and/or foil - scratchy and junky sounding for the most part IF they're not directly on top of the ground to maybe 2" deep --- any deeper and they sound like crap

I've found 2 of them - most recent was 2 fall seasons ago with an Etrac... Posted it on here.

Good luck on that site and hit it hard Joe Beer
(11-16-2015 05:56 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-16-2015 12:08 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Unless it's a private property, or a virgin public spot, Morgans must be extremely difficult to find. Heck, just finding halves has been damn near impossible for me. So, that someone would've missed a coin the size of a Morgan in 30+ years of metal detecting would be highly improbable, IMO. Yes, it could happen, but I'm guessing not often. Again, I'm talking in most spots that have been hunted well over the years, not private yards or untouched land. But...

Joe

I took a buddy to a virgin site (farmland) that we're pretty sure has never been hunted before then

we get there, hop out, get set up, turn on machines - he goes left - I go right - not 2 minutes in he shouts "got one" - I turn and he tosses something at me - I watch it fly through the air and catch it in my hand - look and it's an 1878 CC Morgan in solid VF condition!!!

to say I was PO'ed is an UNderstatement cuz all I found was a flat button and some do dads - but also - it was MY site that I did the research on, and got permission to hunt, etc as he's from way down south of me like 2 hrs and just came up for the day to hunt with me!!!!!!!

and as for "Trimes" (AKA) 3 cent silvers = yeah - they do not read/sound like "silver" in the least bit -

most guys would/do pass right over them IF they are lucky enough to pass a coil over one because they sound like a weak nickel and/or foil - scratchy and junky sounding for the most part IF they're not directly on top of the ground to maybe 2" deep --- any deeper and they sound like crap

I've found 2 of them - most recent was 2 fall seasons ago with an Etrac... Posted it on here.

Good luck on that site and hit it hard Joe Beer

In the LEAST, I hope your buddy bought you a beer (or three!) after that happened Cool

Joe
WTG Joe!! Love the reaction and that is why I hunt: For that thrill of finding something Fu&%ing cool!!

That was a tough coin for me to find as well Over a decade and then I got two in two years!! Good luck on the next one!!
"Ed, thanks for the link. I know you already got a couple of those bad boys, but for some strange reason, I just couldn't nail one. It was almost comical. I NEVER expected to get one today of all days, as I really felt out of it when I first started hunting this morning. After I got the Washington, though, I kind of snapped out of it. This is a strange hobby the way things work, but that high is pretty tough to beat."

Joe,

I only got one and this year early in the season. About crapped my pants when I found it!!! Got Walkers aplenty but it took me five years to get the Barber Half. Just gotta keep sweeping and digging. Great info on the 3 centers too! Going to have to start putting that info into some practice cause my sites are getting pretty bare, even of shotgun headstamps! Sad

Ed/ODF
(11-16-2015 06:30 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]In the LEAST, I hope your buddy bought you a beer (or three!) after that happened Cool

Joe

Nope - all I got was a "thanks" for the invite!

I wouldn't have been so PO'ed if it weren't for 3 things (cuz really I don't begrudge anyone for finding stuff) and love to see everyone dig something cool

but

1: that was his 3rd (yes third) silver dollar in his diggin career
2: it was a site I worked my butt off to find and secure for diggin and should have hit before taking anyone else!
3: at that time I had never dug a silver dollar to date NOR any CC coin and still haven't dug a silver dollar in all these yrs of diggin (a good 30 yrs now) Speechless

I just dug my 1st CC seated coin this past spring at that picnic grove = still lookin for that "silver dollar" (and a Reale too)!
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's