Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: I'm THANKFULL!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For the pile of silver that I have found! TYG!

Coins only, and one 37 Washington is missing because I gave it to a friend. And borrowed back the Peace Dollar from my Hungarian Dumpling for the shot. Anyway, 84 shown, and a lot of time and speculation involved in it. Some places I never even expected to find anything. And I'm not kidding. Then all hell broke loose and I was finding it gangbusters this year, some in the beginning, some in the middle and now, nearing the end of the season. In between there were week or two week lulls, where I was out hunting but to no avail on the silver. Sure, I found a lot of other stuff, but this isn't Virginia or New England. This is the rust belt.

The purpose of this post is to make a point. Shortly, the 2015 season will end and with it my 5th season. And I want you to know that I am a beginner at the hobby of metal detecting. I pissed around for three years with a good but mediocre detector and found a lot of stuff, but not the old coins or silver that I suspected I'd find. So I made a move to the Minelab SE Pro. And I've never turned back. This is not to endorse the Minelab as the end all and be all of machines, but it is to tell you that if you get serious, you have to move up. You simply have to. Conditions to hunt are far more difficult today than even 5 years ago. An edge is the difference.

I've been out there almost every day for a minimum of 2 or 3 hours since March. It's tough here, metal detecting. But I don't give up, and you shouldn't either. If I can find it, and it is still out there, anyone with the persistence and gumption to go detecting can do the same.

This is a small pile folks! It's 2015. The piles will be getting smaller as time moves forward, but there will still be piles with enthusiastic detectorists hitting the dirt.

Good luck to all of you the remainder of the season and have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Ed/ODF
Ed --Great post and congratulations on your pile of Silver!!

You work hard, you are persistent and it all pays off!! But probably the most important is your are enjoying life doing a great hobby, exercising and every now and then a Heart Pounder pops out of the dirt and makes us feel like kids at Christmas!! To me-- the last is the most rewarding--how often can you just be giddy and stupid over something that really has minimal value? The simple fact that we found it is what I really enjoy!!

Best wishes for many more piles!! (Of Silver) Wink
And I'm THANKFULL!!! as well Ed. For the great post, great site, great people and great finds! Thanks for sharing 

#120!!!

HH
Yes, Ed, this is a FANTASTIC post Yes 84, at least for my area, is a pretty good year...solid. It might waver up or down a bit, but on average, if one can find 100 silvers annually in NJ, that's something to be damn proud of. And remember, your season ain't over just yet, there's still probably another hurrah or two left before 2015 closes Wink A lot of people outside of the hobby, and maybe even some inside that are newer, really don't know the sweat involved to make these finds. To be fair, we (the forums, social media, etc.) probably make it look easy, as we tend to only post the good stuff, not much of the trash. Nor do they see the labor involved, of digging 70 or 80 holes per hunt, or the time investment, the traveling involved, the costs.

That's why I truly feel we are a fraternity, us treasure hunters. An outsider might look at one of our finds and think; "Oh, that's neat, you found a coin", or, "Nifty pocket knife", and never give it another thought. Yet, WE appreciate the history of the items, WE can understand the sacrifice involved, WE can understand the love of the pursuit.

There's not many like us.

You had a PHENOMENAL year, and WE recognize your efforts Happy

Joe
(11-25-2015 01:46 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, Ed, this is a FANTASTIC post Yes 84, at least for my area, is a pretty good year...solid. It might waver up or down a bit, but on average, if one can find 100 silvers annually in NJ, that's something to be damn proud of. And remember, your season ain't over just yet, there's still probably another hurrah or two left before 2015 closes Wink A lot of people outside of the hobby, and maybe even some inside that are newer, really don't know the sweat involved to make these finds. To be fair, we (the forums, social media, etc.) probably make it look easy, as we tend to only post the good stuff, not much of the trash. Nor do they see the labor involved, of digging 70 or 80 holes per hunt, or the time investment, the traveling involved, the costs.

That's why I truly feel we are a fraternity, us treasure hunters. An outsider might look at one of our finds and think; "Oh, that's neat, you found a coin", or, "Nifty pocket knife", and never give it another thought. Yet, WE appreciate the history of the items, WE can understand the sacrifice involved, WE can understand the love of the pursuit.

There's not many like us.

You had a PHENOMENAL year, and WE recognize your efforts Happy

Joe
YesYesYesYes
Ed well deserved! 

That is a beautiful stack of Silver! I know all the hard work it took to achieve that too. I know that stack holds a lot of good memories for you, not counting all the history associated. We are happy for you, and I hope you have a better year next year with more precious finds! Happy Hunting, Good Luck!
That's excellent!
I have only found two silver coins in the past 7 years.
Guess it all depends upon where you live...
Keep it up
I am thankful too with my finds and the amount of time I have in the field these days.

Great looking pile for sure - congratulations again! You deserve it after all of the time you have spent out there.

Changing up to the Exp II was a terrific move for me too! ( It is very similar to the SE Pro) but for me It was difficult to get it figured out but that is behind me now and I need to travel to sites like you do.

Good luck for the rest of 2015 and beyond!
Reference URL's