Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #104 > 106! 2.5 hours in light rain on grass!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Had fun watching your silvers mount up after I joined in the fall. You're an inspiration, Ed. Any thoughts on what you want to do in the new year for silver totals?
(12-15-2015 05:30 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Had fun watching your silvers mount up after I joined in the fall. You're an inspiration, Ed. Any thoughts on what you want to do in the new year for silver totals?

Well, I'm actually stumped about next year. Seriously though, I put a lot of time out in the field all over the place. In a lot of cases I have no idea how silver coins could have gotten there and in others I can take an educated guess and probably be close. What got me pumped from the get go was finding a Boy Scout troop camp back in late March. From that point on it was comb the woods all over the place and see what happens. Lately though I've been hitting it in grass or along trails.

I can actually say that I am completely astounded by what I have found. I never in my imagination expected to find this much silver and old coin, and such variety of dates. Every detectorist that I talked to in my scope of searching, whether it was the Minelab guy, the Vi Spectrum guy or the AT Pro guy, every one of them said, and I quote, "These woods/fields/playgrounds are hunted out!". And I don't know what to actually say about that. I mean really. Because I found it, and those guys had more experience than I do.

So I guess it's still going to be grass and woods. I'll expand my radius from work or the ranch, but it won't be far. I'm going to do a call campaign this Winter to see about ordinances or laws in the immediate surrounding cities; I have three done already. I work kinda slow at this because three is a lot! But how it goes here is you pick a park, then hammer it for a month. If it's producing, you just keep hammering it until you get bored and move on.

Good luck to you this coming season too Shade! In total disbelief here, but it is out there, you just have to find it. Yes

Ed

(12-15-2015 09:20 AM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Good deal Ed Yes

Been raining for days here too No

Beer
Wayne,

I sincerely hope you can get out to that spot a few more times this year. Seeing some of your stuff compared to the literal trash I dig is an inspiration to me. My brother lives about 45 minutes from me and is constantly out on people's 700 to 1000 acre farms searching for arrowheads but I've only gone down there once to do any detecting. Now I have old homesteads mapped out from 1857 on some of the sites he searches. Our timelines are just not compatible. Maybe in 2016 I'll nag him enough to make a couple or few days of it.

I drool with such envy seeing all that furrowed land you search!! LOL!

Take care man and have a great Christmas!

Ed
WTG Ed!! Heck you got 15 days left to get 4!! LOL No Prob!!
(12-15-2015 07:54 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]WTG Ed!! Heck you got 15 days left to get 4!! LOL No Prob!!

Man Ron, I feel ya. I'm so tired you can't believe it. I got a few things to do personally before the end of the year, but I'm telling you, I'll give it my best shot. You guys find so much old stuff. I sure wish I lived in CA!

Ed
[/quote]
It won't all be wine and roses all the time, but on those few that are, it will.

Ed
[/quote]

Great advice, Ed Yes

Believe you me, it's NEVER wine & roses on my end. More like beer & wilted dandelions! Chuckle

Joe
(12-15-2015 10:38 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-15-2015 07:54 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]WTG Ed!! Heck you got 15 days left to get 4!! LOL No Prob!!

Man Ron, I feel ya. I'm so tired you can't believe it. I got a few things to do personally before the end of the year, but I'm telling you, I'll give it my best shot. You guys find so much old stuff. I sure wish I lived in CA!

Ed

Make that 5 to tie with Leo. He got a silver the other day and that gives him 111!!!!!! Also a big fat gold ring. WTG LEO!! YesYes
He said he'd post them when he got a chance. He called me yesterday on his break at work and I was about half asleep (& tipsy) but I remember him telling me he's at 111!!!!!

Ed
Ed\ODF, I am stumped too for next year - after hitting the local places hard and doing well also this past spring.
I am now forced to venture out into the great wild areas of other towns - wow sounds scary but it is just the unknown places to me no big deal.

As for finding good coins in places that are hunted out -
My detecting buddy said from year to year the dirt moves and or coins move - so you never know when things change in your detecting favor. He also said that many folks detect to fast and are not able to hear the sweet\small sounds. Some silver coins don't give off much of a signal at depth and even less if they are turned on side or angled.

Last item and this is from my experience - you must know your machine settings and make changes in order to make better finds - bench test at home - read internet or books on settings that pertain to your particular detector. (it's possible those that went there in the past went with incorrect settings).

Two years ago I did that and starting finding more gold in the dirt.
Last year I did it and had my best spring ever for silver coins.
(12-17-2015 02:16 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Ed\ODF, I am stumped too for next year - after hitting the local places hard and doing well also this past spring.
I am now forced to venture out into the great wild areas of other towns - wow sounds scary but it is just the unknown places to me no big deal.

As for finding good coins in places that are hunted out -
My detecting buddy said from year to year the dirt moves and or coins move - so you never know when things change in your detecting favor. He also said that many folks detect to fast and are not able to hear the sweet\small sounds. Some silver coins don't give off much of a signal at depth and even less if they are turned on side or angled.

Last item and this is from my experience - you must know your machine settings and make changes in order to make better finds - bench test at home - read internet or books on settings that pertain to your particular detector. (it's possible those that went there in the past went with incorrect settings).

Two years ago I did that and starting finding more gold in the dirt.
Last year I did it and had my best spring ever for silver coins.

Tony,

This month of December has got me going in EXACTLY that direction. Not only am I gridding but I'm slowing down horrendously! Today I went over a patch of trashy ground I know I've been over at least three times. I found three wheats! One (58D) was about 2" from a 60's pull tab and the other two (44 and toast) were about 4" apart surrounded by 2 screw caps and one beavertail! And I had the sense down to 12!!!! All three were at 5 to 6 inches! I hear you young man!! Yes Going to try this at a few other spots before the end of the year.

The weather here is unbelievable! But it's not Climate Change. It's Mo Nature. We just don't have records long enough.

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's