Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Machines You've Swung?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
VERY interesting to see everyone's natural progression in the hobby, in the form of the equipment they've used. As I stop in every day or so, and read the new replies to this thread (some of which have a LOT of detectors listed), one of the thoughts that keeps hitting me, is that it is the detector companies that are the main ones striking treasure!

With only 10 responses or so already, there's probably been more than 60 or 70 detectors mentioned. That's a LOT of cash spent on gear!!!

Now multiply the same type of progression by many more thousands of detectorists in the world, and you will fully realize just how lucrative this hobby is for the manufacturers.

There's an old saying in the sales game, "I'd rather sell what people want, than need", which I think is very fitting here. When we have to buy something we NEED: food, clothes, car repairs, etc., we constantly bitch about the prices. But for things we WANT, we'll find any which way to justify the purchases, as we crave them so badly.

"I want that GPX, it's deeper", "I want that AT Pro, it separates better", "I want that Omega, it's faster & lighter", yadda, yadda, yadda. And, unless it's a total POS, we very rarely complain about the money we spent. Because we're HOT, emotionally invested fanatics of this hobby. The best kind of market to cater to Wink

Joe
You really hit the square nail on the head with that post Joe. They are making a fortune! Just look at XP alone. How many Deus units did they sell in the past couple of years? I bet it's an incredible amount. Same with the Garrett AT series, but of course they sell for half the cost of the Deus. $$$$$$$$$$$
(03-20-2016 12:13 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]VERY interesting to see everyone's natural progression in the hobby, in the form of the equipment they've used. As I stop in every day or so, and read the new replies to this thread (some of which have a LOT of detectors listed), one of the thoughts that keeps hitting me, is that it is the detector companies that are the main ones striking treasure!

With only 10 responses or so already, there's probably been more than 60 or 70 detectors mentioned. That's a LOT of cash spent on gear!!!

Now multiply the same type of progression by many more thousands of detectorists in the world, and you will fully realize just how lucrative this hobby is for the manufacturers.

There's an old saying in the sales game, "I'd rather sell what people want, than need", which I think is very fitting here. When we have to buy something we NEED: food, clothes, car repairs, etc., we constantly bitch about the prices. But for things we WANT, we'll find any which way to justify the purchases, as we crave them so badly.

"I want that GPX, it's deeper", "I want that AT Pro, it separates better", "I want that Omega, it's faster & lighter", yadda, yadda, yadda. And, unless it's a total POS, we very rarely complain about the money we spent. Because we're HOT, emotionally invested fanatics of this hobby. The best kind of market to cater to Wink

Joe

Yes they do make lots of money from People, but of the 3 machines I mentioned (bounty hunter , Dfx and V3i ) I have about 800 in them all.
(03-24-2016 03:53 AM)biggredd1972 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2016 12:13 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]VERY interesting to see everyone's natural progression in the hobby, in the form of the equipment they've used. As I stop in every day or so, and read the new replies to this thread (some of which have a LOT of detectors listed), one of the thoughts that keeps hitting me, is that it is the detector companies that are the main ones striking treasure!

Joe

Yes they do make lots of money from People, but of the 3 machines I mentioned (bounty hunter , Dfx and V3i ) I have about 800 in them all.

Did you buy them used, Redd? The DFX alone when new would go for that, is the reason I ask.

For me, I don't care how much money the detector companies make, they're certainly entitled to it, as they're in business to make a profit. And I'll spend whatever is reasonable & affordable to me, so I may best enjoy this hobby. But I still find it fascinating how hot we all get for the ever growing lineup of new detectors constantly being released. It's almost like the Pavlonian response. Guess it brings out the kid in us again though, as we get to play with new toys all the time.

Joe
Bounty hunter (new)
Dfx (used)
V3i traded a shotgun for that I had $100 in.
(03-24-2016 11:31 AM)biggredd1972 Wrote: [ -> ]Bounty hunter (new)
Dfx (used)

If you can get close to $2,000 in detectors for less than half the street price, you're one HELL of a savvy shopper! Kudos, Redd Yes Beer

Which of the 3 do you find yourself usually reaching for first?

Joe
Its awesome seeing everyone's detectors they've used. Good thread. I can't wait to get more. I bet its like learning all over again and it makes it exciting but frustrating!

I'd like a teknetics t2 classic or ltd...
Or a fisher f75 se
Cz-21...
E-trac...
Obviously would love to try a ctx3030 but by time I can even afford those detectors I'm sure there will be even more out and more advanced.

I can't see myself ever leaving this hobby. And being 23 I have along detecting career ahead of me. What will detectors be like in 5..10..15..20..30 years from now? I can't imagine. Will people still be detecting? I hope so!

Thanks for sharing everyone!
The first machine was my father's Relco
My father and I owned together a Outlaw by Bounty Hunter (BFO machine)
 Whites Coinmaster 4 (TR machine)
Whites 6000 (great machine and first really good discriminator)
Whites 6000 D series III
Whites Eagle
Whites Spectrum (good machine----found several relics with this one, but looked a lot*******)
Bounty Hunter ??
Minelab Explorer XS (good silver machine----can find mixed with iron)
Tesoro Tejon (good relic machine)
Whites TDI S/L (Bad experiment--Read and done everything I could----iron and more iron)
Fisher Coin$trike 
Minelab Etrac
Teknetics G2+(seems to be a good relic machine)

No offense toward anyone. Just my thoughts and I think the key to the machine is the asterik above. The ones used a lot are gonna find a lot.
(03-24-2016 12:00 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-24-2016 11:31 AM)biggredd1972 Wrote: [ -> ]Bounty hunter (new)
Dfx (used)

If you can get close to $2,000 in detectors for less than half the street price, you're one HELL of a savvy shopper! Kudos, Redd Yes Beer

Which of the 3 do you find yourself usually reaching for first?

Joe
I use the V3i and my son uses the Dfx and I sold the bounty hunter. I have been considering a land/water machine like an AT Pro for the swimming holes but haven't found a deal on one yet. I can hold out till I find a good deal on the right machine.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's