Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Do You Ever Smell Your Finds?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, I'm already certified nuts, so, a little more won't hurt Tongue 

Holding something 80, 90, 100+ years old is quite amazing when one thinks about it. Who dropped it? What did it represent to the person? What were they doing when they lost it? And on, and on, and on. But...

I have this habit of actually smelling my finds from time to time; coins, jewelry, etc. Now, don't start getting any perverse thoughts running through your mind, lol. Basically, by taking a quick whiff of these items, I'm always curious to see if I can get any residual traces of the person that dropped it. The majority of the time...nothing, however, every so often, I can swear I smell a perfume/cologne, etc.

Anyone ever smell their finds? Be honest. Come on, it can't just be me?!

Joe
Uhh...No. Tongue
Yep. Mine always smell like dirt. And you are NUTS.
(09-17-2013 08:56 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Yep.  Mine always smell like dirt.  And you are NUTS.

No arguing on the "nuts" part, Will Tongue Baby, I'm as hard core of a junkie as you'll ever meet...detecting junkie that is. I actually left (as in quit) a job making six figures before, cause it was cutting into my detecting time. 110% true. In hindsight, the dumbest move I EVER made, but, damn was it fun! I live, breath, eat & sleep detecting. Is it any wonder I smell my finds, then?! Drunk

Joe
Joe-Joe-Joe-Joe-Joe !!!!HuhHuhHuhHuh 

You have me at a loss of words on the smelling thing!!   Pictures may be best!!

[attachment=816]

[attachment=818]

[attachment=817]

[attachment=819]

HappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappyHappy  WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink
Hahaha, friggin Ron!
ROTFLMAO! Ron, that's the best Happy Happy Happy

For the record, I'm not talking about taking all of my finds out of their cubby holes and spending hours smelling each individual piece...although that would be classic! Nothing like that. Rather, what I'm speaking of is, let's say I'm holding a large cent for example, I'll take a whiff of the coin in an attempt to 'smell the history' of the item. To see if I can pick up on any traces of a scent. It's quite interesting. I've done this on numerous occasions. Come on, I can't be the only one?! 

P.S. - Ron, I'm hoping that's not your pet squirrel.

P.P.S. - As an interesting aside, check out this link on just what the human nose is capable of: http://listverse.com/2013/01/27/10-thing...uld-smell/
OMG. OMG. Momma warned me bout men like you.
Quick!!! Someone hit the 'report' button.
(09-18-2013 03:49 PM)ICanDigIt Wrote: [ -> ]OMG. OMG. Momma warned me bout men like you.
Quick!!! Someone hit the 'report' button.

Hahaha! You guys call yourself hunters?! Only diehards sniff their finds!!!

Joe
This REALLLLLY makes me want to ask you a question.
I'm too scared of the answer though....
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's