Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Whoa!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thanks, guys. Believe me when I say, it was a LUCKY find, for 2 reasons...

1. The place it was found has been well hunted for years, by every club & stripe of detectorist since the 70's. I found a lot of great stuff there over the years, but it's the type of place where you can go and get skunked 10 times in a row, and then on the 11th time you can have a 5 or 6 silver day, or find a real oldie. It's a crapshoot kinda spot, but I did well at this one particular area a while back, but never hunted it thoroughly, which is why I went back yesterday.

2. 95% of the silver and old coins at this place start at about the 6" mark. Sure, one might bump into a shallower piece of shiny once in a blue moon, however, you'd be wasting your time digging anything shallower than 5" or 6". However, there ARE certain sub-sections where, for many reasons, the coins don't sink as much. I was solely listening for the faint whisper signals yesterday, when my buddy Gerry popped a couple of silvers that were only 3" or 4" deep. Ok, time to switch game plans, I thought. So, I literally began digging almost every signal, surface on down. A little while later, I heard that famous, crackly, high pitched Minelab silver tone, but the odd part was, it was VDI'ing in the memorial range, at about 5". I figured it was maybe a merc or barber, possibly on edge, or real worn, or maybe a wheatie. Pop open the plug, dug out a little bit of dirt, and saw the tiny disc. I thought it was a button at first, but as soon as I had it in my hand, I thought I knew what it was, though I wasn't certain, as I never pulled this variety of real.

So, I was in the right spot at the right time, and I was lucky enough to be with Gerry, who made me change strategies and dig shallower signals. If not for these reasons, believe me, 99.999% I would not have dug that coin. Pure, dumb blind luck.

For some reason, my internet is experiencing problems, which the cable company is working on. I can only post from my stinking Android phone, which works fine, but I cannot get the photo button to open for me...on here and even other photo sharing sites. Strange. If anyone else has this problem, please report it to me, as I'd like to find a solution.

Joe
Holy shit! That's an amazing coin!! That has got to go up top. I don't have Facebook, so I can just view the coin and can't see if there's a story behind it, but man that is some colonial eye candy!!!
Thanks for sharing Joe. I remember when we went out you told me the same thing. You don't dig shallow silver signals. Good thing you did! Maybe you should change that 6" rule to maybe 3-4". If it pinpoints small...then give it a dig! Ya never know...just like this half real!
Hope ya find out the computer situation and best of luck when you get back out there.

BANNER
(04-09-2016 10:16 AM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for sharing Joe. I remember when we went out you told me the same thing. You don't dig shallow silver signals. Good thing you did! Maybe you should change that 6" rule to maybe 3-4". If it pinpoints small...then give it a dig! Ya never know...just like this half real!
Hope ya find out the computer situation and best of luck when you get back out there.

BANNER

It's all spot specific, for me. If I know the spot well, and see what depth MOST of the older stuff is coming up at, I'll focus exclusively on that depth range only. Will I miss some shallower stuff? Absolutely, but I'm playing the odds. I'll forego missing some shallower stuff in a heartbeat, if I can cut down on digging time and pulling up a lot of junk. Again, though, each spot needs to be judged separately.

When I was up at Scott's, large cents & half dimes were popping out at only a few inches, so, it then became a 'dig it all' game, but that was an unusually good, productive location. It was also a private property, so the rules are different, pretty much every signal needs to be investigated.

Where I live, most of the public spots have been stripped of the oldies in the first 4" or 5". There are exceptions of course, but it's an entirely different ballgame.

Joe
Wow, what a cool old park find! Congratulations! I wish I was there to share in the excitement!
Killer find, looks like banner to me? Congrats!
Super nice find !!!!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's