Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: first timer getting started
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks.  I'm looking to get into the metal detecting hobby and was wondering if I could get some recommendations on a detector to start with that is entirely waterproof and has desirable features and functionality that will keep me liking working with it but won't break the bank.  I do beach trips annually and want to be able to cover not only the beach, but be able to venture into the water without worrying about drowning anything.  I would also like pinpoint capabilities.  Also if Ebay deals on used machines  could get me a spiffy one at a fantastic price, i'd be interested in knowing that also, but if it isn't that great a savings then i'd rather buy new.  Thanks for any wise advice and/or veteran recommends...
Is that you!!! ??? Welcome to the forum!! I think just to have for the beach and wading, the Garrett AT Pro Gold would be the best bet. Because at the beach you'd really be looking for gold and that machine is good for that and land use and waterproof. Keep checking in the classifieds above too. Every once in awhile a nice machine turns up for a great price.

Ed/ODF
Welcome to the forum from South Jersey!
Ed(ODF) said it all! Best of luck finding a sweet deal on a used machine!
I use the Garret AT Pro and I really enjoy it for land hunting. Although...the Pro really suffered in the salt water for me. It can't be used at maximum capibilites due to not being able to Ground Balance well in the salt. You can do it but your depth will be limited. But then again, all locations are different. That was my experience for the Jersey shores and the black sand!

These are just some opinions and facts

If you do go with the Garret AT Gold it will be the better choice over the AT Pro in my opinion for the type of detecting you'd like to do.
The AT Gold comes with a stock 5x8 coil which ground balances better than the stock 8.5x11 coil for the Pro.
The frequency of the Gold will be better than the Pro like Ed mentioned.
If you get in the water, it'll be easier to detect in the surf and pinpoint with the 5x8 stock coil on the gold.

Best of luck in your journey and happy hunting
Zach
The AT pro or AT gold works well or the whites MX Sport also works well
I have to agree with Ed and Zach on the Garrett at pro gold , but Steveo gave you another great suggestion with the Whites. 
   Either machine should make you very happy and when you do find that first piece of gold you will be hooked.
  I wish you the best of luck and welcome you to a great hobby and a great forum.
Pat
(05-05-2016 05:19 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Is that you!!! ??? Welcome to the forum!! I think just to have for the beach and wading, the Garrett AT Pro Gold would be the best bet. Because at the beach you'd really be looking for gold and that machine is good for that and land use and waterproof. Keep checking in the classifieds above too. Every once in awhile a nice machine turns up for a great price.

Ed/ODF
Yeah Ed, it's me.  Thanks for the referral.  Seems like we have a bit of consensus on the AT Gold.  Really concise recommendations to make my search compact and easy.  Hoped I could get started for under $500, but if I'm to go this route looks like I'll be in for a bit more than that unless I can find a used machine.  We'll see how it goes.
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.  Best of luck in your search for a good detector.
Welcome from H Town. Check out Ad Huntr  along with the Treasure Classifieds. There is always a good deal or 3 to be had.
Welcome to the forum from NJ
Reference URL's