Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Detectorist EYE Candy!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I did this stint of woods near the river without much luck a couple of times. I keep driving by the spot every day on my way out to detect. I thought to myself today, why don't I take a better look closer to the river. There's a real nice bunch of old pine trees there, a bridle trail and river ford, so what the hell, let's stop and take another look.

Within the first 15 minutes I find a Merc. 20 minutes later, 12 feet from the Merc, (I'm moving real slow now!), I find what I thought at first was a half dollar. Nope, it's some kind of medallion or pendant with writing on the back. I see a date of 11-30-16. I think, wait a minute, HOLY CRAP, that's 1916!! I read the rest of the writing on the back and it says something about a YMCA 1 mile Jr. Race something. Okay, but there's something missing on the front. I re-sweep the spot and get a strong dime signal. Poke around with the pinpointer and OMG I find the centerpiece of a runner at the starting point.

Okay, to say the least, by this time I am so pumped that crawl doesn't even exist. I can feel gravitational waves passing through me I'm moving so slow.

What's this crazy 3-27 signal that is not registering on the depth scale. Sandy ground, easy dig, I dig down to maybe about 14 inches. What the hell is this, a dog tag? Clean it up with water from the river. HOLY CRAP it's a luggage Tag from C&E Railroad!!!!

So now I'm trying to control myself. Can't swing too fast, watch the depth gauge, cover the ground, don't miss any spots, check the sensitivity, don't let any squeeks get past you. I'm mentally saying to myself, OMG, OMG!!

Get back up to flat ground under the pines. Get a 00-26, 27, 28, 29 with excellent high tone but it won't target very well. Screw it, I'll just dig out a one foot wide hole and see what happens. OMG it's a 1907 Barber dime around 5 inches. Think to myself, I should be able to target a 5" Barber with no problem. There's something else there, sure enough, re-sweep the open plug and get a misty 14-07, 15-07 with a good mid tone. I already know, for some reason that this is a V nickel. Son of a bitch, it's a 1905 V nickel.

At this point I was 2.5 hours into the hunt. I decided to call it quits. On the way out I get this screamer 7-27. Dig up a 35 D Wheat.

And I screwed up the order they were found in after I set up the pic. Crap.

And that's the way it is May 6th, 2016. I gotta do some research on the YMCA thing,11.6 grams silver, and the luggage tag. I'll update as I can!

Have fun out there guys and gals and HAPPY HUNTING!!

God, I love this hobby!!

Ed/ODF
Ed, that is one terrific hunt, congratulations. I am not sure what is cooler the silver coins, medal or the luggage tag.......
You gotta love this crazy hobby - you just never know what you will find.
Congratulations again!
Okay, here's what I've found out about the YMCA 1 mile Jr. Race Medal awarded to A. J. Faulwetter:

Only reference I can find is to a Social article in the Hillsboro, Ohio Gazette from May 17th, 1940. It's a fee to join and read the article. But this tells me that he is a real person as he is described in the headline as "Mr. & Mrs. A. J. Faulwetter, visiting...."

So I might pay the fee. Which is peanuts. I think this may be a one of a kind if I can't find any relatives. And the provenance would be worth the effort! But what was he doing up here in NE Ohio? That's the question that intrigues me. Because I think I've found an old picnic and swimming hole at this spot. He may have been either fishing with local kids or swimming, or horseback! Who knows.

I have finally found a piece of history that makes the hobby what it's worth. Discovery of the memory of the past. So it's not just the ghosts and breezes out there, it was and still is real people.

Hunt on my friends.

Ed
I'm glad ya had a great day Ed! You deserve it! Sweet relics and coins! You had it all! Intuition usually always pays off! At least for me! Keep at it!!!YesBeer
(05-06-2016 09:16 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]I did this stint of woods near the river without much luck a couple of times. I keep driving by the spot every day on my way out to detect. I thought to myself today, why don't I take a better look closer to the river. There's a real nice bunch of old pine trees there, a bridle trail and river ford, so what the hell, let's stop and take another look.

Within the first 15 minutes I find a Merc. 20 minutes later, 12 feet from the Merc, (I'm moving real slow now!), I find what I thought at first was a half dollar. Nope, it's some kind of medallion or pendant with writing on the back. I see a date of 11-30-16. I think, wait a minute, HOLY CRAP, that's 1916!! I read the rest of the writing on the back and it says something about a YMCA 1 mile Jr. Race something. Okay, but there's something missing on the front. I re-sweep the spot and get a strong dime signal. Poke around with the pinpointer and OMG I find the centerpiece of a runner at the starting point.

Okay, to say the least, by this time I am so pumped that crawl doesn't even exist. I can feel gravitational waves passing through me I'm moving so slow.

What's this crazy 3-27 signal that is not registering on the depth scale. Sandy ground, easy dig, I dig down to maybe about 14 inches. What the hell is this, a dog tag? Clean it up with water from the river. HOLY CRAP it's a luggage Tag from C&E Railroad!!!!

So now I'm trying to control myself. Can't swing too fast, watch the depth gauge, cover the ground, don't miss any spots, check the sensitivity, don't let any squeeks get past you. I'm mentally saying to myself, OMG, OMG!!

Get back up to flat ground under the pines. Get a 00-26, 27, 28, 29 with excellent high tone but it won't target very well. Screw it, I'll just dig out a one foot wide hole and see what happens. OMG it's a 1907 Barber dime around 5 inches. Think to myself, I should be able to target a 5" Barber with no problem. There's something else there, sure enough, re-sweep the open plug and get a misty 14-07, 15-07 with a good mid tone. I already know, for some reason that this is a V nickel. Son of a bitch, it's a 1905 V nickel.

At this point I was 2.5 hours into the hunt. I decided to call it quits. On the way out I get this screamer 7-27. Dig up a 35 D Wheat.

And I screwed up the order they were found in after I set up the pic. Crap.

And that's the way it is May 6th, 2016. I gotta do some research on the YMCA thing,11.6 grams silver, and the luggage tag. I'll update as I can!

Have fun out there guys and gals and HAPPY HUNTING!!

God, I love this hobby!!

Ed/ODF
Wow,congrats on...umm...everything!!! It's all brilliant! Well done on the silver! Gl and hh!
That looks like a spot that deserves a lot more attention. Pretty much any one of those finds would mark a great hunt for me , but all of them together WOW!
   My favorite is the medal , no wait the luggage tag , no .....Happy
  Anyway , another awesome hunt Ed , hope to see more like this.
Pat
Good diggin there Ed

definitely worth more investigation

love the RR tag Yes

Beer
Those are some great finds! 

I think the medal belonged to Arthur John Faulwetter. He was born January 8, 1900 in Kentucky, son of Arthur and Katherine "Kate" Deiss Faulwetter. His father, Arthur F. Faulwetter, was a carpenter and died September 19, 1902 of peritonitis. In 1908 the widowed Kate (and Arthur too, presumably) lived at 99 W 15th and Kate was then a dressmaker. Kate died in 1930.

In 1917, when he registered for the Draft, he was a line checker for the Pullman Car Company in Ludlow, KY. He was of medium height and build with dark hair and brown eyes. He lived with his mother at 213 W 15th in Covington. 

Arthur attended Miami University at Oxford, Ohio in 1919 and in 1921 was at Baldwin-Wallace in Berea and was in the class of '22. He was a member of the Goethe Literary Society and a circulation assistant for the school newspaper, The Exponent.

In 1924 Arthur lived in Middletown, Ohio (roomed at 18 Harrison) and was a chemist for Armco Steel. 

He married Irma Louise Liggett in Highland County, Ohio on December 27, 1927. Arthur was then working as a chemist. Irma was a teacher.

In 1930 the and his wife Irma lived at 513 14th Ave in Middletown, Ohio. Arthur was a chemist at a steel mill and Irma was a public school teacher. Also in that year he inherited $600 and property at 631 Elm St from the estate of his grandfather.

By 1940 they were back living in Covington with his spinster aunt Leonora Faulwetter.

Arthur and Irma had a son, Robert Liggett Faulwetter (July 21, 1937 - November 15, 2012) - obituary here.

Arthur died in Cincinnati May 13, 1969. He is buried in Fort Mitchell, Kenton County, KY.
A BIG THANK YOU Nick!!! YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes

That's the connection! Baldwin Wallace College is only 4 miles from that spot. He must have been swimming or goofing with his college pals down by the river. I read that obit and see he does have living relatives. I'll have to get in touch with them if I can and see if they would want this. I did a Zaba Search for Faulwetter and came up empty. Where did you find this info, if I may ask.

I FOUND CHRIS FAULWETTER on FB!!! I'm going to contact him and see if he is indeed A. J.'s grandson.

Ed
Ed, about a dozen places here and there. Nothing is ever all in one place. I have a couple subscriptions to useful sites as well. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it! 

I figured Berea was the connection here, and agree he probably lost the thing just as you surmise. I'm wondering how he carried it, the wear on the loop looks like he carried/wore it a long time.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's