Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: To cut a plug or not cut a plug?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read a post on another site - it stated that this person cuts a slight in the grass and then digs into the soil to retrieve the target.
Well given that the soil was so darn dry I went coin shooting and gave this method a try. It worked pretty well and it is doable. I cut the slight in the center of where I thought the coin was - but pin pointing doesn't always give you dead center.
I had to use my hand held pin pointer and that made things more easy.
The picture shows a bunch of coins and yes some were on the surface - so my screw driver just lifted them up no issues there.
I will continue to use this method and see if it really is better then cutting a three sided plug - but the true test comes after we get some rain....too dry to dig deeper then five inches.
Let's us know how it turns out. Good luck hunting.
I usually let my pinpointer determine whether I'm going to dig a flap or not. I still use the original Propointer as they keep on ticking , so your results may vary , but if I can find the target without "supertuning" then the target is generally close enough to the surface to be recovered with just a probe. If I have to supertune the pinpointer then I will usually dig a flap that is slightly less across than the target is deep. 4" is about the max depth of a supertuned pinpointer so if I can't find those targets , obviously I'll dig a flap , but I really try to avoid really dry areas as you always seem to leave tracks behind no matter how careful you are. It also depends a lot on what machine/coil I'm using as some are dramatically better at giving you a depth reading. The Minelabs with the stock coils are the most accurate I've used with the White's close behind but Fisher and XP are pretty inaccurate(consistently at least 2" off).
I cut a plug unless it's in the roots of the grass just under the surface. Then I take my pocket knife and cut an X over the spot and probe around until I find it. Dusty is right about the depth gauge on the Minelabs.

Congrats on a nice haul of clad Big T!

Ed
Thanks guys.
I agree too on the minelab depth gauge.
Cutting an X - I'll have to try that method.
Reference URL's