Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: My Oldest and 1st Holed LC!!! 1835!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Went on that trek yesterday to the old stone rubble wall I found in the Winter with no luck at all as it was pretty overgrown on the field side and the woods side yielded absolutely nothing other than a dump of old broken glass and a few shotgun headstamps.

So today I followed an old tree lined, on one side, barbed wire fence line not that far from the camping sites I hit earlier in the week. Wasn't getting much on the tree lined side but noticed that about every 50 yards or so there were these HUGE standalone pine trees 50 feet across from the tree line about 32 inches in diameter with the lower, about head high, branches cut or broken off. I went over to take a look see and the first one was empty, even of iron signal. On the next one however, I get this sweep digital of 1-29 and a bleep of a high tone about 20 feet from the base of the tree on what would be the shady side if the sun was out. I find the spot and pinpoint it and it's pretty big with a good but not silver kinda high tone and a solid 28 on the meter. 2 inches down under a pretty hard clay below pine needles and leaf debris, out pops what I later discover as an 1835 Holed LC! I could first see the One Cent on the back but couldn't make out the front so I pocketed it until I found some ponded water and tried to clean it up with a nylon brush, the results of which are the first shot of the series on my pants in the woods.

This is the oldest coin I have ever found. I was hoping it wasn't a clad quarter and wishing it was a seated half but I'm very happy to have it as it tells me a lot about the area and what I should be doing.

Have fun out there guys and gals and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed/ODF
Congratulations on your oldest and 1st holed Large Cent! You know it meant a lot to someone. That is awesome and happy for you. Keep finding them and Good Luck!
That is absolutely awesome Ed.. Congratulations on a oldest coin.. Well deserved BeerBeerYes
Yeaaaahhhh buddy! Congrats on your oldest and first holed coin. You deserve it for sure! All this hard work is really paying off for you. Keep at it and best of luck Ed!YesYes
Cool detail too, congratulations! Gotta love those large cents!
Nice going Ed Yes

BeerBeer
Congrats Ed!  I always "blank out" for a few seconds when finds like this come out of  the hole.  Takes a bit of time to register when I'm not expecting a thrilling find like this!
Congratulations Ed , been off line computer problems , great too be back and see all the great finds again.
(06-27-2016 01:48 PM)bulletbob Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations Ed , been off line computer problems , great too be back and see all the great finds again.

Good to see U back Bullet!! Hope all is well!!!

Ed
(06-23-2016 07:32 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Went on that trek yesterday to the old stone rubble wall I found in the Winter with no luck at all as it was pretty overgrown on the field side and the woods side yielded absolutely nothing other than a dump of old broken glass and a few shotgun headstamps.

So today I followed an old tree lined, on one side, barbed wire fence line not that far from the camping sites I hit earlier in the week. Wasn't getting much on the tree lined side but noticed that about every 50 yards or so there were these HUGE standalone pine trees 50 feet across from the tree line about 32 inches in diameter with the lower, about head high, branches cut or broken off. I went over to take a look see and the first one was empty, even of iron signal. On the next one however, I get this sweep digital of 1-29 and a bleep of a high tone about 20 feet from the base of the tree on what would be the shady side if the sun was out. I find the spot and pinpoint it and it's pretty big with a good but not silver kinda high tone and a solid 28 on the meter. 2 inches down under a pretty hard clay below pine needles and leaf debris, out pops what I later discover as an 1835 Holed LC! I could first see the One Cent on the back but couldn't make out the front so I pocketed it until I found some ponded water and tried to clean it up with a nylon brush, the results of which are the first shot of the series on my pants in the woods.

This is the oldest coin I have ever found. I was hoping it wasn't a clad quarter and wishing it was a seated half but I'm very happy to have it as it tells me a lot about the area and what I should be doing.

Have fun out there guys and gals and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed/ODF

Nice coin! Congrats on your oldest! Gl and hh!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's