Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Take it out, put it in!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ed, first I heard of a biological mixer......good one.

I do keep moving but it's the evening TV and sofa that gets me into trouble.

I stretch daily now and take aspirin of some sort, depending on what's in the cabinet.
My favorite one for my back is sit on a chair and bend forward - as far down as you can, hold for at least 20 to 25 seconds, repeat five times. If you can stretch out your are forward when doing the sitting stretch.
Me again Ed. I enjoyed reading the posts on this thread probably more than most because it showed something I have been aware of for some time. It seems the work ethic in this country has diminished greatly over time. There are those of us who are older who remember that for the craftsman, the quality of the work and one's reputation was as important as the pay that came with the job. It is apparent from your posts that you are a craftsman and dedicated to doing things right
In my years at Goodyear I saw fantastic changes for the better in technology, but at the same time I saw a gradual change for the worse in peoples' attitudes, dedication, and enthusiasm. When I first went there, attendance was a matter of pride. Each year management would pass out perfect attendance rewards to a surprisingly high number of workers. And it happened year after year. And in the years just before I retired it was very rare to see anyone with a perfect record. For the last few years I was there, on Super Bowl Sunday for example, most of the night shift failed to report for work. Machines that were supposed to run 24/7 sat idle til I and the other day shift people came in.

Also, in the early days we had an inner drive to do the job as well as it could be done. The self inflicted humiliation at making a mistake that ruined a batch of rubber was worse than any tongue lashing a supervisor could unleash. Sadly in my last years there, operators would make mistakes daily, ruining batch after batch, all without much remorse and usually with a snide little laugh. And even more sad is that management seems to have accepted this change as an inevitable shift in business.

I am sure there are still many dedicated workers out there who do the job right and do it daily and consistently. I tip my hat to you and hope I haven't insulted anyone. This is just one of my pet peevesĀ  and I guess and I tend to run on about it. Thanks for listening.
(07-15-2016 08:16 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Me again Ed. I enjoyed reading the posts on this thread probably more than most because it showed something I have been aware of for some time. It seems the work ethic in this country has diminished greatly over time. There are those of us who are older who remember that for the craftsman, the quality of the work and one's reputation was as important as the pay that came with the job. It is apparent from your posts that you are a craftsman and dedicated to doing things right
In my years at Goodyear I saw fantastic changes for the better in technology, but at the same time I saw a gradual change for the worse in peoples' attitudes, dedication, and enthusiasm. When I first went there, attendance was a matter of pride. Each year management would pass out perfect attendance rewards to a surprisingly high number of workers. And it happened year after year. And in the years just before I retired it was very rare to see anyone with a perfect record. For the last few years I was there, on Super Bowl Sunday for example, most of the night shift failed to report for work. Machines that were supposed to run 24/7 sat idle til I and the other day shift people came in.

Also, in the early days we had an inner drive to do the job as well as it could be done. The self inflicted humiliation at making a mistake that ruined a batch of rubber was worse than any tongue lashing a supervisor could unleash. Sadly in my last years there, operators would make mistakes daily, ruining batch after batch, all without much remorse and usually with a snide little laugh. And even more sad is that management seems to have accepted this change as an inevitable shift in business.

I am sure there are still many dedicated workers out there who do the job right and do it daily and consistently. I tip my hat to you and hope I haven't insulted anyone. This is just one of my pet peevesĀ  and I guess and I tend to run on about it. Thanks for listening.

Shade,

I can say in fact ditto your statement. Running the soccer fields, I've found young guys who go to the limit, and others who really do not care. Easy to weed out, but a task, as retraining is an earnest effort to produce a workable fit. A lot of these kids are the board members kin. I broke that mold. It was tough to some degree, but I now have half and half. Now, they compete with each other. The haves and the have nots. And I get one hell of alot of shit done. All based on production. I have high school football players, BULLS, going off shift, exhausted. But got the job done. I've got home schooled Hockey players, who I can say are going Pro out of HS, who aren't just a fair match, but equal in every way.

I don't take prisoners. Each one of these grown children I have taught the ropes to. They do the daily routine while I do the repairs. We work as a team. There is no other option. This is the work that we do. And we do it right, or not at all.

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's