Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Bomb Shelter in the middle of the city, well almost
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
About a 4 minute walk away from our house in the middle of the field thought at first looking at Google maps thought it was a mountain bike-o-cross type
location.

[attachment=8685]

About six months later took a walk back there to check out the trails and found this big mound with a big light pole at the bottom. Closer I got noticed stairs leading up. Whooooa what is this thing? Climbed up the stairs to find a steel metal plate lying on the ground. After closer examination, found it to be a door that was welded shut.
Sure wondered what was on the other side.

[attachment=8686]

One of our clubs' elders has lived in the area for years and years, he told me he went down inside with his son a long time ago, before the door was welded shut.
He said it was a long way down inside and was an emergency fall out shelter in case of a nuclear war. If you look at the pictures, compare the parked cars to the shelter size. It was build to hold a lot of people.

Wife says I should try detecting back there, as she says that kids were playing ball back there. Our club member said it used to be swamp land and he never hunted there. For some reason I keep resisting the hunt.

[attachment=8687]

And what's in your back yard?
That's an interesting discovery Sven, and definitely worth a look-see. Looks like a lot of activity has gone on around the site and I'm sure someone left something behind.
People were in a frenzy about shelters here in the 50's and early 60's so there may not be a lot of older coins, but might be other good stuff. I'd say go for it.
That is huge. Somebody spent some money to build it. Growing up in the country, we found a abandoned one. It was only one level, approximately 20 x 20 and made of concrete. When you walked in it tunneled to a small room in center. It was creepy, wet feeling and had trash cover the ground because it was abandoned. My brother and I didn't mind the nude magazines. Hahaha.

You should run your coil over any property you can. Unless it is or was a scrap yard. Those places are not worth the aggravation. Good luck, and I wonder what's inside too. Hahaha
It's built on what was once Canadian forces property that had a railroad yard just behind the shelter. Also there are still standing large ware house complex  that used to be used to store military trucks etc. The buildings are now used as warehouses for business'

Found this:
Complex was built during the Second World War as a military vehicle assembly plant and it was used for DND vehicle maintenance and supply activities after the war.
Reference URL's