Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: different type of technology
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was able to follow the launch of a supply ship headed to the ISS tonight.  The mission originated on Wallops Island on Va.'s east coast tonight after dark. About 2 minutes after lift off I was able to see the rocket's engine blast clearing the horizon and curvature of the earth. The first stage carried across 1/3 of the sky and after a period of darkness following the first stage burnout, the show continued with the second stage til I lost sight as the rocket again went past the earth's curvature down range. About 3 minutes total viewing time-real nice treat! I guess I'm about 160 miles inland.
That is a great experience Shade! Those rockets are so powerful, it's hard to imagine. I so much wanted to go down there to FLA and watch a Shuttle blast off with the kids and the wife but it never came to pass. I'm really glad you could see something like that and relay it to us, even that far away. We are going out there full force someday. And I hope I live to see it.

Found ths in Google News.

http://www.space.com/34416-stunning-anta...aunch.html

Ed
Thanks for sharing the experience. Since I live in Fla. I have seen a few rockets and space shuttles blasting off. (Never close) I recall seeing Challenger blowup from miles and miles away from launch pad. Lost some good people and even a teacher on that day in 86. Sad day for sure. However, NASA learned and took step to correct the design. Still always chance of disaster riding a rocket / possible bomb to space.
Reference URL's