Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Buttons, Wheats, Old Memorials & ????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was to this area last year and found several silvers, some nickels, head stamps, bullets, a few newer campfire rings and tons of can tops and old beer cans. It's a vast area covering around 300 acres, with an old abandoned wagon road, long stretches of old rock rubble property line divides and about 15% as river bottom land. It has 4 major plateau spots which valley off to each side and stretch out like giant fingers pointing to the river. The deer are abundant and the scenery is just out of this world in the Fall. Every time I've been there, I've had the entire place to myself and the wildlife. It is truly nature at it's best.

Yesterday I decided to follow the top edge of one of the plateau's from it's cutoff point of the Interstate right down past the wagon road and to the river, doing about a fifteen to twenty foot wide zigzag search, hopping fallen trees, going around patches of wild raspberries and pacing myself through thick depths of fallen leaves. I found several permanent topographical markers, what we call here Western Reserve Survey Markers, which were put in place by the Department of The Navy and their cartographic teams from the late 1840's up until around 1908. I always pay attention to those because I've found a lot of LC's, one Canadian half penny and one IH in their vicinity elsewhere where I've discovered them. But Wednesday just yielded a horseshoe, an abundance of rotted square nails and a tab to what looks like a carpenters hand plane. I've been trying to figure out how they did this cartographic feat now for some years, and being a masonry guy myself, I would always look for where they set up shop in the vicinity and do their preliminary work. So far I haven't figured out how they installed 5 foot long concrete monoliths, 7" x 7" at the top, pyramid shaped, buried so only 1 foot was above grade, with a round wrought iron rod in the center, protruding 1" from the top, and setting them to the exact grade topographical height for map reference. The angle of the slope of the monolith is 1" per foot of height, so the base, 4 foot below grade, is 12"x 12", or 1 square foot. I measured it being the inquisitive fellow I am.

Wednesdays photo includes the brass carpenters plane tang (?) and a spill of pennies all within 4" of each other. A 64 D came up first, then the 46 D Wheat, then a 59 D Memorial, an odd grouping but together as a spill.

Thursdays finds were surprising. 2 buttons within 12' of each other near a rubble property line wall and 2 wheat's, acres apart. One Wheat a 1916, near the rubble wall and clear as a bell, and another a 54 D a ways off.

And so while searching in the woods, these are the things I find, and the things that keep me searching. Because 300 acres is a lot of ground. There was silver there once. There may be again. And more........

Have fun out there Guys and Gals and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed/Ohio Dirt Fisher
Ed, maybe your handle should read "Woody" because you are a real outdoors man.

It's nice to get into the nature part of this hobby and you sure know plenty about your surroundings, congratulations on those neat finds but my guess is you liked being there more then finding stuff!
A home run is nice, but I'd bet on a guy with high averages any time. You have shown that you can keep the numbers up consistently. I'll be looking for silver from you soon. By the way, having found only clad lately, the wheats look pretty good to me.
(10-27-2016 10:47 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Ed, maybe your handle should read "Woody" because you are a real outdoors man.

It's nice to get into the nature part of this hobby and you sure know plenty about your surroundings, congratulations on those neat finds but my guess is you liked being there more then finding stuff!

Thanks Big T. Hope you are doing well. But I like them both. To find spaces where people were in abundance so many years ago, when today there is no one (?) there except for me and my detector; that, in and of itself, is a thrill for me. I observe the beauty and majesty of these places that were set aside by people a long time ago, but I also feel that in some cases I am walking through a history book. A history of what went on there and how it happened. Detecting and knowledge of an area are inseparable. The knowledge comes from the discovery, the finds. Whatever else the mind envisions while there in our present time, well, that's just the perks of being a detectorist. And it is georgeous! I ain't doin no rec park along US 1. I'm in the woods Big T. The long forgotten woods. And when I go back there, I'll take some pics and vids of things I've discovered you won't, or maybe will, believe. Because other people are there, they just don't want to be known. It's that close to humanity, yet that far away. Happy Haloween!

Ed

(10-27-2016 11:14 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]A home run is nice, but I'd bet on a guy with high averages any time. You have shown that you can keep the numbers up consistently. I'll be looking for silver from you soon. By the way, having found only clad lately, the wheats look pretty good to me.

The Wheat's were an absolute surprise to me Shade. As were the buttons. I'd found buttons there before, but a very long distance away. And not as in good a shape as to read the logo. But these kind of finds are the ones that compel me to hit a site over and over again. People were there throughout our history here. And some still may be, very quiet though, hidden in plain site. This is a historic area. Can't build condos, houses. Some of the land may fall off into the river someday and change it's course. From what I've been able to determine it was partially farmland, mostly timbered very early in settlement of this area, from axe heads and splitting wedges I've found, and hunted to the literal death of all species with the exception of the deer and squirrels. So for me, I'm kinda like in Nirvana detecting land. It's there, the clues are all over the place, but it's a real crap shoot at times and I firmly believe that persistence makes the grade of any detectorist. And thanks for the baseball reference. There's no place like home! The dream of all us coil swingers. It's there, I just have to find it. Yes

Ed
Another great post Ed , and some nice finds to boot. Do the deer hunters chase you out when the season hits , or is it off limits to them?
HH
Pat
(10-28-2016 04:28 AM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]Another great post Ed , and some nice finds to boot. Do the deer hunters chase you out when the season hits , or is it off limits to them?
HH
Pat

That area is off limits to regular season hunters now. But the Metroparks has a culling program and they just shut down whole sections of the park for a couple days every now and then.

Ed
Ed, I understand. I hit the woods not to long ago and came across a make shift camp with a camouflage tarp covering it, needless to say I turned around rather quickly and got out of there. Squatters in the woods probably don't want me to be poking around even if it was for coins.
Excellent button, Ed. 300 acres is an enormous amount of land, and it would take you years to cover well. Definitely lots of silver there, just going by the size of the place, and the fact you've already found some. Hikers, boy scouts, nature enthusiasts, campers, etc., I'm sure have cavorted in those woods long before both you and I were on this planet. Which means they lost stuff. And if you put in the time, and dig through enough trash, as we al must, the goodies will show themselves, sooner or later.

Joe
Ed is a researcher whenever we go hunting he has facts and details about the area that are amazing, he looks at a hillside a river bank or a stretch of open land with a sparkle in his eyes and you know he is reading every detail. I am a Detectorist but Ed is a Hunter a Predator of the land. Nice finds Ed.
(10-31-2016 06:02 AM)Cladjunky Wrote: [ -> ]Ed is a researcher whenever we go hunting he has facts and details about the area that are amazing, he looks at a hillside a river bank or a stretch of open land with a sparkle in his eyes and you know he is reading every detail. I am a Detectorist but Ed is a Hunter a Predator of the land. Nice finds Ed.

Thanks John! That was nice!

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's