Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Class ring return.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I haven't posted here in some time, things are slow here right now, still hot and dry as a bone. But I posted this on a couple of other forums and wanted to share a feel good story.

Wednesday I was out hunting in a private yard when I uncovered a class ring from 1968. The school is in Massachusetts, I'm in NM, with initials GLM. Lecia, my wife, found a Facebook page for the class of 1968, Lynn English HS. I posted my story and within a day I had tracked down the owners wife, unfortunately, he had passed away 7 years ago. The ring is now on its was to his wife in Ma after being lost since 1968. Here's what she told me about how it may have ended up here ..........

"Hello, Dan. My, this story sounded a little odd but I just checked out that LEHS class of 1968 page. Gary died seven years ago. But back in '68, he and his buddies bought a used VW van and drove west to California. I don't know the route they took, but they could have gone through New Mexico. We had a great life. Thanks for getting in touch."

I was sent his obituary by a former classmate, sounds like a guy who could have been a fellow metal detectorist.

"Gary Lee Mitchell, age 59, of Lynn, died Tuesday, May 5, 2009, in Union Hospital, after a brief illness. He was the beloved husband of Nadine (Hashem) Mitchell for 29 years, and the son of Lila (Hoben) Mitchell and the late Arthur Mitchell. Born in Lewiston, Maine, he was raised in Lynn where he lived most of his life. A graduate of Lynn English High School, class of 1968, he was a supervisor for the former Malco Industries on Eastern Avenue in Lynn for over thirty years. He enjoyed fishing and spending time outdoors in nature. Together with his wife Nadine, Gary traveled to England, Rome and Sicily. They spent time on Sanibel Island in Florida hunting for fossils and enjoying the beach. Gary was a coin collector, and an avid reader with a special love for Roman and Greek history. He was a member of the American Numismatic Association."

This is the second ring I've found that had been lost for 40+ years and I was able to track down the owner though Facebook.
[attachment=8914][attachment=8915]
Congratulations Dan! That is good in all kinds of ways. Thank you for your kindness and sharing the story. May you be Blessed!
That is a fabulous story Dan! It's good to hear you were able to connect with his wife. Kudo's to your wife's research too! In the detecting world it doesn't get any better than this! YesBeer

Ed
Everybody loves a story with a happy ending. This is just fantastic Dan and I want to salute you for doing the right thing in getting that ring back where it belongs. All involved and our hobby too are better off because of what you and your wife did. You've got some credits in your Karma account now!
Very commendable Dan , must admit I would've been tempted to not do the right thing when no one was watching me. You might make it to role model status somedayHappy.
Let's see , '68 , used VW microbus , heading to California,,,,,I'll bet there's some pot and hippy surfer chicks that figure in this story some where. the good old days 4 sure. Probably in your neck of the woods going to the caverns or White Sands before hitting Cruces and I-10. Sounds like a trip to remember!
Thank you guys, I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't cross my mind about keeping the ring. My precious lol Happy  Then I thought, what in the world do I need it for, it would end up in my pile of stuff like the rest of the rings and things. I was more than curious as to how it ended up here, the rest is history. The ring was the creme da la creme, but, there was some icing as well.
Great job! It does indeed sound like Gary would've been a heck of a treasure hunter. Amazing how some of the stuff we find winds up where it does. Can't remember what forum it was on, but I remember a longtime detectorist that found a roman coin on his parents' farm, a few years back. Which was in Iowa, I believe. Go figure. If only some of our finds could talk.

I've yet to find and return a class ring, but it's on my bucket list in the hobby.

If possible, ask the gentleman's wife if she can take a photo holding the ring when she receives it, as it would put a nice cap to the story, and would provide a keepsake you'll always admire, of a nice find and noble return.

Joe
What an awesome story , I've returned a couple of class rings including one from the 70's , turns out the guy worked for the same company as me.
  I don't know if I would have done the research to find someone clear across the country to return something that old. I say that but I usually look for the owner of something that is fairly easily identifiable. You never know what you'll do until the situation presents itself. 
  It looks like that was a great hunt , that walker is sweet and a class ring return complete with the great karma it gives you , it just doesn't get much better.
  It sounds like you are a class act , and your wife as well. I hope you get paid back a hundred fold in good finds.
Pat
Reference URL's