Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Did you find any of these Updown?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
$1 million in gold coins from 1715 shipwreck on the market

Posted 10:24 p.m. yesterday
Updated 9:02 a.m. today

2 Reactions

image: https://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/business...40x360.jpg
In this Oct. 19, 2016, handout photo photo released by Blanchard and Company, a gold coin from a 300-year-old shipwreck discovered off Florida's coast is displayed in New Orleans. Blanchard and Company is one of two dealers offering the coins from an area where 11 treasure-laden ships of a Spanish fleet were smashed onto reefs by a hurricane on July 31, 1715. The other dealer is California-based Monaco Rare Coins. (Blanchard and Company via AP)

image: https://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/business...15x450.jpg
In this Oct. 19, 2016, handout photo photo released by Blanchard and Company, a gold coin from a 300-year-old shipwreck discovered off Florida's coast is displayed in New Orleans. Blanchard and Company is one of two dealers offering the coins from an area where 11 treasure-laden ships of a Spanish fleet were smashed onto reefs by a hurricane on July 31, 1715. The other dealer is California-based Monaco Rare Coins. (Blanchard and Company via AP)

By KEVIN McGILL, Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS — A New Orleans investment firm has begun marketing gold coins from a 300-year-old shipwreck discovered off Florida's coast.

Blanchard and Co. is one of two dealers offering the coins from an area where 11 treasure-laden ships of a Spanish fleet were smashed onto reefs by a hurricane on July 31, 1715. The other dealer is California-based Monaco Rare Coins.

John Albanese, a New Jersey-based coin expert who brokered the sales, said in an interview Friday that most of the 295 coins being offered were found by divers exploring the area last year on the 300th anniversary of the disaster.

Albanese said a few are from earlier expeditions in 2010 and 2013. He said the combined market value of the coins is more than $1 million.

The coins vary in denomination, size and shape. "They were very crudely made. They were handmade," said Albanese, who added that the coins' worth at the time they were made was based on their weight.

A Blanchard news release says the coins were struck in Colombia, Mexico and Peru. They were dated between 1692 and 1715. Most are from a discovery made in 6 feet of water about 100 feet off the coast of Vero Beach, Florida.

Albanese said the coins sold quickly once they were available at the wholesale level.

Craig Baudot, an executive vice president at Blanchard, said his company began marketing the coins over the past two weeks. He said the coins are marketed at prices ranging from about $2,000 to $9,000. He said interest has been high at the retail level as well.

"You're dealing with something that's over 300 years old," Baudot said. "Everybody dreams about walking down the beach and finding treasure."

Ships of the 1715 fleet were heading to Spain from Havana when they encountered the hurricane near what is now Vero Beach. Some 1,000 people died in the maritime disaster

Read more at http://www.wral.com/firms-marketing-1-mi...xMs0.99How nice would it be to find something like this! Every time I see a treasure story I wish I were near a beach. I wonder if some of this spill didn't wash onto the beach over the years, as it was so close to shore.
Unfortunately, I have no connection to the discovery. However, a year or two our local news said some local treasure hunters found some coins and this meant alot because they were smaller scale hunters that had a dream.

I know the areas, but haven't hunted there. Some of the reason is because you're not allowed to hunt the water because of the leases. I think, you need the erosion to find it on the banks.

Anyway, one day I might be fortunate to find a piece or two.
I would be happy with any history of those shipwrecks.
Aaaahhhh, the Holy Grail of our hobby. Finding one is obviously on my bucket list, but if it never happens, I'm fine with it. The satisfaction alone I get from this pursuit is more than enough.

I wonder, if we were to do a percentage in numbers, how many in our hobby, out of all participants, actually have found a gold coin in their lifetime. I know a few members of ours have; Deathray, Ron (or one of his buddies), and I know Wayne did, as well.

If I had to guess, I'd say only 5% of hunters ever find the white whale, but again, just a random guess.

Odds wise, I'd say one would be more likely to find one out West in Gold country, or down in Florida, due to the shipwrecks. But let's not forget places like Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, or any of the other states involved in the Civil War, where many of the higher-up's were paid in gold. Then too...

You have the oldtimer caches that were buried, stolen loot that was hidden somewhere, etc. There are probably thousands upon thousands of gold coins lurking about out there, but the trick is finding them!

Joe
Shade, I certainly wouldn't throw a gold coin back in the hole, but finding something like below would be a nice "consolation prize". Archeologists surveying a site a few years back in Rotterdam, found a stash of Medieval coins in an old leather shoe. Hundreds of them, with the earliest being from 1472! I would shit my pants, faint, awake, shit my pants again, and then probably have a heart attack, if I ever hit upon something like this...
Wow. What a story! I can't imagine the thrill of a find like that. We would all need clean britches for a week if we were lucky enough to dig up such a trove.
Joe,

When you mentioned members who found a gold coin. The most recent I recall is Digsit , it was banner worthy too. Not sure you chime in on his post, I think you were busy with life outside of website. Yes, I know he is a lucky rascal!

Shade your post looks like it is missing a page. I realized it was either fat fingers or a stuck key or both. Hahaha. Thanks for sharing the stories.

(11-08-2016 07:41 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Wow. What a story! I can't imagine the thrill of a find like that. We would all need clean britches for a week if we were lucky enough to dig up such a trove.

You ain't shitting! I would lose control. That ranks up there high, maybe best find ever.
Reference URL's