Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Man accused of making off with a $1.6M bucket of gold in NYC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(12-06-2016 09:39 AM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt he came this way , so I hope he dug hole in New Jersey somewhere and buried it to be found by some lucky detectorist. I wonder if we would read about it , or if someone would just get a few nice toys.....
Tongue
Pat

They say there's more money buried in the ground than there is in circulation, but that's a hard one for me to swallow. Not saying it isn't true, but I cannot wrap my mind around that. Maybe if that included underwater too, I might be able to see it, as there are surely many shipwrecks out there containing billions upon billions of dollars worth of goods. But just in the ground? Tough call. I would like to know who/how they arrived at that conclusion. Where did they get the information to make that proclamation. As of October 20th of this year, there was $1.48 trillion in circulation, $1.43 trillion of that being in Federal Reserve notes.

If true, that would be a LOT of money in the soil.
Joe, I understand it is a concept that is steep in mystery and difficult to understand.
I an start the discussion with this and see who comes into this with additional information:
Maybe they were talking about around the world and over the ages?
That would be a considerable amount to take into consideration.
Many folks and authority figures including governments - stashed cash in many forms to avoid war or invading forces of some kind (ie: Europe nations, Far East and in the Middle East, I guess Africa too).
I am amazed at what is found in England over the last ten or fifteen years, yikes!
Ships with thousands of silver coins were found by that recovery ship and put on TV a couple years back. Oh yeah, my favorite was the side wheeler that went down returning to NYC from gold fields with newly minted $50 gold coins, man, oh man - I love these stories. Great for arm chair folks.
(12-06-2016 11:58 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Joe, I understand it is a concept that is steep in mystery and difficult to understand.
I an start the discussion with this and see who comes into this with additional information:
Maybe they were talking about around the world and over the ages?
That would be a considerable amount to take into consideration.
Many folks and authority figures including governments - stashed cash in many forms to avoid war or invading forces of some kind (ie: Europe nations, Far East and in the Middle East, I guess Africa too).
I am amazed at what is found in England over the last ten or fifteen years, yikes!
Ships with thousands of silver coins were found by that recovery ship and put on TV a couple years back. Oh yeah, my favorite was the side wheeler that went down returning to NYC from gold fields with newly minted $50 gold coins, man, oh man - I love these stories. Great for arm chair folks.

It is a fascinating subject for sure. Really gets my motors revving. If I had a wish, and I could only partake in one niche of the hobby, and nothing else, it would have to be old farms. There is just SO much to find on them, to me, they're the perfect locations. I really enjoy when Wayne posts for this reason, as I get to live vicariously through his hunts. But...

We have to make do with what we have. And around here, it's mostly urban parks, with a few large wooded areas. So that's my reality and I do the best I can with it.

It seems very rare that a cache is found here in the states. The last one I remember was the $10,000,000 in gold coins a couple of homeowners found on their property out in California. Wonder why it occurs with more frequency in the U.K. I understand it is much older than the United States, but still, as you said, there were many back in the day who buried their savings.

I would love it if a member of this community found a nice cache Happy
Joe, yeah it does seem rare and we hardly hear about them here in the US.
Here in the US, folks simply don't believe in them. Some because of embellished stories where writers are trying to write a story just to make a buck. Another reason is folks don't talk about them.
Many that were hidden were called milk and butter money, just a few coins in a jar or can stashed away from the family so they use it for food. Those are the ones I would like to find, a few coins that were saved and never spent.
Then the larger ones - gold coins or silver were - sometimes you hear that a construction machine unearths them while tearing out an old house.
I could go on because I love these stories - I believe they exist but I simply don't look I just coin shoot
There's a book I read a couple of years back, I forget the exact title. But I picked it up in B & N one day, and couldn't put it down. I sat there in the cafe reading it for about 3 hours, and it was damn good. I wanted to go back and but it, but never had the chance. It featured all types of treasure stories in NJ. I'll do some web surfing and see if I can find it. I think you'll enjoy it.
Found it online. Photo of the cover is below. Like I said, it is a great read. Lots of stuff about NJ in it, and more factually based, with research to back it up, maps, etc., instead of simply telling an old wives tale about buried treasure. The author really researched the treasures, and he covers each one in-depth, as well as offers clues on where he thinks they are.
Sound interesting and with the polar vortex - we might as well start reading good material.
Thanks I'll check into it.
(12-08-2016 11:56 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Sound interesting and with the polar vortex - we might as well start reading good material.
Thanks I'll check into it.

According to the long range forecast (which is essentially a guess :chuckleHappy, after a blast of arctic Canadian air later this week, it's supposed to moderate to average temps around Christmas. All things considered, I'll definitely take that this time of year.
Yeah, that is sounding real good. I can't wait for some moderate temps, dam cold today.

Did you and Gerry get out today?
New York police know who the guy is that store the bucket of gold flakes. He was deported to Ecuador four times and has been arrested here in the US seven times.
Now they feel he is in California. My guess he is trying to contact someone to help him cross the boarder to Mexico.....another treasure lead for sure......this one is getting better by the day
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's