Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Dangerous extreme hunting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I found this today while surfing treasure hunting themes. This was in South Africa, but I saw similar stories for New York and other cities. I wonder what drives this type hunting. Some of it must come from desperation. Check out the related links---3 people die in Paraguay treasure hunt; Boy in Pakistan dies in tunnel collapse. Park hunting may be vexing at times but not fatal! I had been wondering how many hunters might have died while seeking treasure, like Mel Fisher's son and daughter -in-law, and Randy Bilyeu (Fenn's treasure chest).

Man dies in sewer treasure hunt
2014-11-15 12:17

[Image: 034ad7a59e3b4e0190843c1857b0f662.jpg]
(Shutterstock
Related Links

Amanda Khoza, The Witness

Durban - A television documentary probably piqued a man’s interest to go on a treasure hunt in a sewerage pipe - a dangerous and sometimes deadly exercise.

Unfortunately, the 45-year-old man never lived to tell the tale of his unusual expedition because he was found dead, twisted and stuck between shaft screws inside the machines at the Southern Waste Treatment Works last Friday.

The unidentified man has put a face to an increasing problem facing the eThekwini Municipality.

Treasure hunting syndicates often include men going down sewage pipes to search for jewellery and any valuables that have accidentally been flushed down toilets, showers or kitchen sink drains.

3 deaths this year

This year alone, three men have died while performing the daring illegal activity and three have been rescued, according to the police.

In July last year, the body of Bhayo Mnqayi was pulled out of a drain by eThekwini municipal workers.

The man and three others were in a sewerage pipe in the Merebank canal using torches to find gold and diamonds when they slipped and landed in the fast flowing effluent.

In a separate incident, it was reported in April that a man was found trapped in a Newlands West sewerage pipe while searching for gold.

Search for gold

A police source investigating the treasure hunters told Weekend Witness: “Many of them first saw this on a documentary called Cutting Edge, which showed a man going down the sewerage pipes with a head torch to search for gold.”

Another police officer said treasure hunters are usually members of a neighbouring community.

“They climb down the manhole and into the drains, then walk along the drains underground. Then they will crawl into the sewer pipes and sometimes the sewer levels increase because as people flush their toilets, it increases the pressure levels,” said a police officer, who also asked not to be named because he was unauthorised to speak to the media.

“They tie a rope or a string to their necks, with a little plastic bottle on the other end where they store their treasure. Sometimes they drown and their bodies get pushed down the pipes, and then they block the pipes and that is usually how we find them,” said the officer.

Aaron Mfunda, the deputy head of eThekwini Water and Sanitation, asked people to report these incidents by contacting 080 1313013.

Read more on:    durban

[Image: d7c46138d32c46a5811c42ffb492a3c5.jpg]
Wow I just don't think that is for me I would rather have a squirrel shaking acorns down on me any day then to go down into those situations. I actually find it funny when a squirrel gets upset i'm below him and he cuts small branches to fall Happy
Norton! Norton! Did you find anything yet?
(01-16-2017 08:18 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Norton! Norton! Did you find anything

Nice one Ed! Got a good chuckle to start my day. I miss some of those old shows.
I don't find much gold , but I just don't think I am quite that desperate to find some. When I was an active firefighter/emt I was involved with a rescue of a guy who chose to go into the storm drains , I have no desire to get back in there.
   I hope they can find a way to put a stop to this , they not only risk themselves , but also the people who have to rescue/recover them.....
Pat
There was a similar story out of Brooklyn last year. Couple of crackheads went down with their metal detectors. Don't think they found much, but they did manage to get cuffed by the coppers. If I were them, I would've just taken the manhole cover, as it'll bring good scrap money. Other than that, don't know what they were thinking. Probably zoned out on drugs Drunk
I saw a piece a while back about a guy in NY who used a screwdriver and a back pack shop vac to collect the debris in the cracks of the sidewalks in the City and then panned and sifted it at home for precious metals and gem stones. That approaches the level of disgusting as crawling through the sewers , just drier. Opportunity is where you find it. I heard about a plumber here who was remodeling a building that was once a jewelry manufacturer and found almost 10 ounces of 10 and 14k slag in the main p-trap when he removed it to redo the bathrooms.

Needless to say , I'm not herding any Hudson River salmon for a few bobbles.No
(01-16-2017 09:26 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]I saw a piece a while back about a guy in NY who used a screwdriver and a back pack shop vac to collect the debris in the cracks of the sidewalks in the City and then panned and sifted it at home for precious metals and gem stones. That approaches the level of disgusting as crawling through the sewers , just drier. Opportunity is where you find it. I heard about a plumber here who was remodeling a building that was once a jewelry manufacturer and found almost 10 ounces of 10 and 14k slag in the main p-trap when he removed it to redo the bathrooms.

Needless to say , I'm not herding any Hudson River salmon for a few bobbles.No

That guy was all over the news here a few years back. He works the Diamond District in NYC, which is on 46th & 47th Sts. He scours the sidewalks looking for dropped diamonds. Most of which are minuscule in size. He claims to find hundreds of dollars per day worth, but I think it's mostly bunk. I'm sure he finds some occasionally, and might stumble upon a decent payday once in a while, but believe me, mostly B.S. It would be the equivalent of me working the curb strip in front of someone's house, and pulling out gold coins. If the owner found out, how long do you think it would take before I was booted so he or she could hunt it themselves? And even IF the guy was finding hundreds of dollars a day worth of diamonds, why in the f@$k would he open his trap and say anything?!
If it's the same story the guy in NY was sweeping the cracks in the diamond district and he did very well. Kind of a strange way to find gold , but to each his own.....
Pat
(01-16-2017 09:52 PM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]If it's the same story the guy in NY was sweeping the cracks in the diamond district and he did very well. Kind of a strange way to find gold , but to each his own.....
Pat

I believe Dusty was referencing the same guy, but as I said above, finding hundreds of dollars per day in diamonds seems like a stretch to me. God bless him if it's true, but I have a difficult time believing it. There are experienced gold prospectors with thousands and thousands of dollars worth of equipment, and access to good claims, and even most of them would be hard pressed to find hundreds of dollars per day in gold. Some do, but it's a very tiny minority.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's