Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Little bit of Gold!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Crossing the river again to a place where I found those 2 roosies and the 1906 IH. This time went further North on the point of the area. Complete bust. Went all the way back to the first third of the area on the North side of a huge storm ravine. Found some clad and a number of memorials. But further up the North side of the ravine I get this real tight loud mid tone reading a 76 on the meter. 3" down I find this little locket. And that was about it after five hours of searching. I think it's not plated but some form of Coin gold like they did for pocket watches. The inside rings of the piece are not gold but not ferrous either as the entire thing is non magnetic. Not brass but I'm thinking some kind of silver as they are very tarnished. I tried to expose the metal ring of one side with a machinists stone and wound up breaking the hinge. The color of the cut I made is silver. The entire pendant weighs in at a whopping 2.94 grams and is a bit smaller than a dime on the diameter. There is a marking on the inside and it's an O & Q R on the inside of a triangle. I did a quick search and can't find anything related to those markings. And no chain folks. Spent a long while looking.

The scenery pic is when I finally got to the North Point of the area. I send these kind of pics to my wife all the time so she has a reference in case I don't show up at the ranch for the feeding trough! Chuckle

It's a real big flood zone and only the areas near the shale cliffs are elevated enough to encourage campers, hikers and such. And it is loaded with trash of all sorts. Not just from the flooding of the area but from people above throwing crap over the edge. Long hot day and just one surprise but I'm happy I got out on the first day of Fall; 91F but a real good breeze and wet feet for the first 3 hours! Crossing back over the river felt real good!!!Yes

Ed
That is a great find , you really suffer for your craft being out in that heat so long , especially with so few finds , I would have grown discouraged. I guess that is why you find so many more things than I do.
I am always expecting to find the remnants of a photo in a locket when I find one but have never had a picture in one. I guess if they have been in the ground for very long the picture just disintegrates.
I look forward to reading more of your detecting adventures.
Pat
Great find with the locket Ed. I always liked those kinds of discoveries that add a personal element to our hobby. It was fun to imagine who owned such a piece and how it came to be lost in that spot. I enjoyed your previous post also (congrats on the 2 new silvers) and I must say AMEN to your welcome to autumn. You are in a very scenic area and I love to see the pics and then read something about them. Wouldn't mind seeing a shot of the river if you have one handy. I think you missed your calling; I believe there's a writer lurking within because you have a knack for the telling of the tale.
Congrats on the locket. Some much mystery, and we will probably never know. Thanks for sharing.
(09-25-2017 07:49 AM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]That is a great find , you really suffer for your craft being out in that heat so long , especially with so few finds , I would have grown discouraged. I guess that is why you find so many more things than I do.
I am always expecting to find the remnants of a photo in a locket when I find one but have never had a picture in one. I guess if they have been in the ground for very long the picture just disintegrates.
I look forward to reading more of your detecting adventures.
Pat

Thanks Pat! That's the first locket I've ever found and was hoping there would be something in it. And I really don't suffer. It's hot and all and the ground is hard and all that stuff but for me it's an adventure. I actually go out there and really expect to find nothing. And sometimes I do exactly that. But when I do find something, that's when the adventure really starts! Because even a small find is the spark that keeps me going. Thanks again and I'll keep posting! YesBeer

Ed

(09-25-2017 08:04 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Great find with the locket Ed. I always liked those kinds of discoveries that add a personal element to our hobby. It was fun to imagine who owned such a piece and how it came to be lost in that spot. I enjoyed your previous post also (congrats on the 2 new silvers) and I must say AMEN to your welcome to autumn. You are in a very scenic area and I love to see the pics and then read something about them. Wouldn't mind seeing a shot of the river if you have one handy. I think you missed your calling; I believe there's a writer lurking within because you have a knack for the telling of the tale.

Thanks Shade! I've got a few of those pics around. Somewhere. I have so many files, I have files on files! Chuckle As to the writing thing, well I've always lived by some of the experiences I've had and how they relate to my life. When my brother and I were kids, 10 and 12, we stayed in PA during the summers with our cousins. My Uncle Cal was an engineer for ITT and also a Navigator on B-17's over Germany in WWII. He pretty much let us live as kids. When we told our Aunt that we all were going camping up in the mountains outside of Williamsport, PA, bows and arows, backpacks loaded and pup tents and blankets rolled up, off we went for 3 days with nary a worry from them. When we came trudging back to the house, starving, dehydrated and exhausted, all my Aunt and Uncle wanted to hear was how much of a good time we had. And except for really missing the home cooked meals, after eating 10 cans of pork and beans and not knowing what to do with a rabbit with an arrow in it, we had dozens of stories to tell.

Much like my life has been, there's always been a story to tell. I enjoy it, sometimes to relive the memory, sometimes to help instruct people, and sometimes, well, just for the hell of it. I was in the Bricklayers for 30 years. If we didn't have stories to tell each other on a weekly basis, we'd all have gone nuts with the drone and routine of the work. That's over now. But I still make a story of the adventure because it's something to tell and pretty accurate. I hope everybody enjoys my stories because they are a good part of what my life is in real life.

HH Shade when you can get out. Tell us a story!

Ed

(09-25-2017 09:29 AM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats on the locket. Some much mystery, and we will probably never know. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Up. Fall is coming and I hope to see some of your finds. You've had some astounding ones! The Mystery is the key to the Adventure!

HH !!!

Ed
I don't know if you guys noticed, but that scenery pic, if you blow it up in your browser and look at that white tree hanging over the river, you'll see a makeshift ladder somebody attached to the tree with rope swings, and if you look closer, to the left of the base of the tree, you'll see a couple of hammocks set up and somebody sitting in the foreground. I saw them just after I shot the photo. I've done that side heavily but I never knew it was a swimming hole! Yes

If the Rangers catch them, they're toast!

Ed
When I read your original post with the locket and tree pics I thought that spot looked for all the world like an old fashioned swimming hole. Saw the ladder, missed the ropes. Do you think you could get in there to look for rings etc? Is it too deep to wade? Or could you use your snorkeling skills? Nice child hood story-great memories. Children today who are watched 24-7 by overwrought parents and who entertain themselves only with smartphones and video games are missing a lot.
(09-27-2017 01:29 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]When I read your original post with the locket and tree pics I thought that spot looked for all the world like an old fashioned swimming hole. Saw the ladder, missed the ropes. Do you think you could get in there to look for rings etc? Is it too deep to wade? Or could you use your snorkeling skills? Nice child hood story-great memories. Children today who are watched 24-7 by overwrought parents and who entertain themselves only with smartphones and video games are missing a lot.

I probably would have to snorkel there in the deep curve of the cliff side. That's also a great spot for steelhead fishing in the late Fall and Spring!

Ed
Reference URL's