Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #45! Wheats, 48 Jeff. Camp spot in the WOODS!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been meaning to get back to this spot for the past three years. Last time I was there I found about a half dozen wheats and had to leave because it was getting too dark to see and it's a real bear trying to get in and out of the place because it is COMPLETELY surrounded by huge bogs and tall grasses. The only way to get in and out is to follow deer trails through the tall grasses and once you get through them figure out which way is where and hope for the best.

Anyway, after I get in and to what I think is the general area of where I found the wheats, I'm there maybe 15 minutes and up comes a whopper high tone reading 88 thru 91 and SCREAMING, "Dig ME!". I thought I had it targeted pretty well but to my surprise it was only about a half inch down and fell out onto the ground next to the plug when the plug fell apart. A 55 Washington!!!! I thought to myself I must be in the right spot! So I spent the next two hours scouring the entire perimeter of where the Washington popped out. Came up with 6 more wheats and a 1948 Jeff. Wheats range from 1928 to 1951.

And then I had to leave. At times, when I get in a rush leaving the truck for the location, I forget to take off my prescription, polarized and very dark sunglasses. And I really don't realize the fact until after I've spent a half hour getting to the location. Well with the sun getting low and me going blind in the woods, at 4:30 p.m. I start heading for the deer trails back through the grasses. During the hunt I found (More like smelled) 3 large dead deer, Doe's, and saw 2 pretty big snakes. One a Northern Ohio Water snake, which are kind of a black and gray and he/she was pretty thick and about 3 feet long, and a common ribbon green snake about 30 inches long who was in a real hurry when it saw me coming out of the grass on my way in. This area is not really what I would call remote as it's surrounded by suburbia pretty much on 2 sides and the river and parkway on the other two. But it's a helluva remote spot for someone who would want to disappear for a few days because it's so hard to get to. Other than that the one real surprise I noted was the lack of trash. I was constantly looking at my screen to see if the machine was working. Very little of anything other than a few shotgun head stamps and a couple of bullets. Real quiet except for that one spot.

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed
What a great hunt , You have researched a lot of great locations and it pays off for you quite often. Congrats on # 45.
(09-28-2017 08:13 PM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]What a great hunt , You have researched a lot of great locations and it pays off for you quite often. Congrats on # 45.

Thanks Pat! Tough tread today but it was worth it!

Ed
Nice work again Ed! And I do mean WORK. You definitely earn your rewards. Wondering why so many coins and no trash and in such an inaccessible area.
(09-28-2017 08:25 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Nice work again Ed! And I do mean WORK. You definitely earn your rewards. Wondering why so many coins and no trash and in such an inaccessible area.

I have no idea Shade, Along the edge of the bog I found a piece of a Blob Top Bottle with some of the wording showing. Apparently, at one time way back, the area was wire fenced off. I was hitting wire fencing near the edge of the bog quite regularly and also found some on downed trees with the fence wire embedded. So somebody was there at least fencing off the place. I searched the oldest photos from 1952 and it doesn't look like farmland. Maybe dairy??? I don't know. Have to do more investigation. I have only just scanned the area briefly. It's pretty big, a good 50 acres. And up until about 1934 there was an electric rail line that went through and over it.

Ed
Reference URL's