Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Colonial coppers and a ring!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Loving the coppers , large cents are few and far between around here. , it's nice to be invited along to see them dug. The ring is cool too.
HH
Pat
Great video!
Question: was the “half penny token” Canadian currency?
Government issue or a “token” for trade or use at certain places?
Good video again Medic and some real nice finds. The 1820 LC is a beauty. Love to see a copper in such good shape since so many are quite slick. By the way, do you or others reading this post have a good method for retrieving dates from smooth coins? I am working with an extremely worn Matron Head LC now. I've tried a few oil baths and the head and wreaths are somewhat enhanced but I still can't get a date or see the "one cent" on the back. Probably not worth the effort, but I am curious.
Relic Medic, congratulations on those cool finds and thanks for sharing the video.

Tony
(04-18-2018 10:29 PM)ohioturkeyhunter Wrote: [ -> ]Great video!
Question: was the “half penny token” Canadian currency?
Government issue or a “token” for trade or use at certain places?

It was used as currency. Most of them were struck in Britain and sent over to be used as currency in upper and lower Canada.

(04-20-2018 12:08 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Good video again Medic and some real nice finds. The 1820 LC is a beauty. Love to see a copper in such good shape since so many are quite slick. By the way, do you or others reading this post have a good method for retrieving dates from smooth coins? I am working with an extremely worn Matron Head LC now. I've tried a few oil baths and the head and wreaths are somewhat enhanced but I still can't get a date or see the "one cent" on the back. Probably not worth the effort, but I am curious.

Personally, I toothpick the coin in the field before it loses much detail. If it's pretty slick, I'll give it a short bath in warm peroxide, immediately followed by a gentle brush or rub, and repeat that process until you're satisfied. Too much will kill it, so be gentle. On coins that I know are worthless but I'd like to get a date just for fun, I'll sometimes wet an SOS pad and give it a scrub.
Reference URL's