Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #13 & 14 FTY Cherry Picking Trash!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Back to a park I've done before but always stayed away from the real trashy picnic table areas because back then the signals for me were simply too much to handle. Today I picked an area that I know I'd been through at least once before, and went crazy doing it, I decided to change the settings. Now I'm usually a guy that likes wide open and maybe 20 or 22 on the iron mask. Working in the far away woods is a whole different story than the urban parks when it comes to settings. Today I upped the iron mask to 13, (lest there be some gold there mates), the sense to 24 on automatic. And that's the way I left it. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

I picked up a wheat (not shown) right off, a 44, about 25' from the RAV. The nulling was outrageous but I pressed on, low and slow, like looking for a needle in a haystack, digging odd high tones as I went, regardless of the digital. Then about an hour later I come upon this real nice high tone, (I'm still within 50' of the RAV!), and it's reading these real odd signals like a clad dime, 3-28, 7-29, a couple of 7-28's. But the tone is saying dig this sucker. I dig a crumbly worm casing plug and at the bottom of the plug I see silver! Turned out to be a pretty worn 1917 S Mercury! I'm thinking now that I may have a good combination of settings for this type of spot.

I keep on.

About a half hour later I hit a 56 wheat (not shown) and I'm still only about 75' from the RAV. Then about another half hour later I get a real tight 3-29, 4-29, from one direction only, among pull tab and beer bottle cap signals close within. I mean this signal was in one little teeny spot only. Dig the plug (6") and see a rim dead center in the hole! It sounded like silver and it was. A 1939 Philly Mercury!

Kept at it for another half hour but only a 74 Memorial and a couple of screwcaps for the effort. I did not dig any clad whatsoever. There wasn't any. I was pretty tired by then and headed home to help Deb put away the groceries.

On Saturday I ran into Cladjunky (at the same park, because he says it's his proving grounds for new detectors [I believe him!]) and we had a great conversation. He's rolling with a Makro Kruzer now, the waterproof one, and just got back into the detecting aspect of life after spending time with work and family. We promised to go hit some really nice but trashy sites this coming season and I'm looking forward to it.

GL & HH out there, all of you. And have fun doing it!

Ed
It looks like your new setting were just the ticket. Great job on the silver , I am amazed there was no clad , parks are usually loaded with it.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Pat
Ed that sounds like a great way to detect that trashy section, congratulations on those cool finds!

Small coil will also help in there if you are not already using one.

GL & HH,

Tony
Nice ODF, your pile is getting bigger. I just hit #30, a 1964 Canadian quarter.
Good work Ed finding the rose(s) among the thorns! I admire your patience, but as you've shown time and again it pays off. Glad you worked out some new parameters that might get you back into the civilized areas of Ohio again---the ticks, bugs, and thorns will rule the woods again very soon. Odd not to find any clad in a modern public venue.
If you see Cladjunky again soon, invite him back to the forum. He told me some time ago that he was busy with things other than detecting, so if he's getting back in, it would be nice to see his posts again.
They can’t hide from you Ed!!
Thanks guys and I have to say that that particular area was a surprise to me in that it contained no clad whatsoever. Not even a clad dime. I have a feeling that the site was picked to death by prior detectorists and pretty much stripped down to the bones. Which makes it a prime area for the squeakers! And honestly, I think they did me a small service!

Low and slow guys! ML's 28 sequential frequencies does the swinging part. I just gently move the coil about! (6x8 SEF Tony!)

Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are! Chuckle

Ed
Good deal Ed Yes

1 silver at a time I say!

Do you save them all? Like have you saved them for the last 4/5 yrs or so?

All I can say is if you do/have = you gotta have a nice pile saved up by now!
(04-24-2018 09:45 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Good deal Ed Yes

1 silver at a time I say!

Do you save them all? Like have you saved them for the last 4/5 yrs or so?

All I can say is if you do/have = you gotta have a nice pile saved up by now!

Yes MRH, I have saved them all. I have a pint mason jar just about full at this point in time. With the really old and key ones in slips separately and a few in that display I made. I think the jar weighs in somewhere around 12#'s. I have given a few memorable dates that relate to my wife's mom and dad's BD's to her. She keeps them locked up somewhere. About June of last year I spread them all out and took a count of varieties. That's coming due again this summer. If silver ever goes up, substantially, I'll take a pic and they'll be gone, except for the key dates. I look at it like a business and a hobby. I'm not very emotional when it comes to money.

Although I hate to admit it, that Nox 800 looks real tempting and I could cut it with just the silver dump.

Ed
I wonder, did Mrs Calabash use a TR metal detector?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's