Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: One permission leads to another
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=10483] I went back out to the lot where I found the popgun and as I was detecting the neighbor was watching me closely. When I got closer to him I said hello and we chatted for awhile. He said he was impressed that the holes I dug were hard to pick out after I left last time.
I loved the compliment and then he asked if I find much money when I detect. I told him , sometimes you get a couple bucks and other times it's rough to find even one coin. He said , if you give me all of the coins you dig and your holes look that good , you can give my lot a shot.
He wound up with $2.33 in clad , no silver . I wound up with a cool old lock ( I cleaned it up a bit , but there are no markings on it anywhere).
Everything else was rusty bolts , small pieces of miscellaneous metal and bottle caps and can slaw.
I think I did a great job on the plugs and he didn't complain. It just goes to show , you should always do things right because you never know who is watching and what it will lead to.
HH
Pat
Good story Pat and good for you for doing things the right way. Hope you get lots more referrals and permissions. That's a sweet lock and a real neat find. Some collectors call that style "mouse ear" locks but if I remember correctly, in the day, they were called heart locks (because of their shape) or cast heart locks, as they were often cast in bronze and brass. Popular in Victorian times. Nice!
Very nice lock Pat and congrats on the new permission.

Ed
Thanks Ed and Shade. I like how you can provide a little history on fun items like these Shade. Now not only do I have a great find , but I also have some new knowledge.
Pat
That is a cool looking lock!
My first permission in a yard, the owner sat on the porch and watched. When I cut a plug, I cut 3 sides and leave one side attached by the roots and just fold it back. After extracting the treasure, I put all the dirt back in, roll the plug back and smash it down even and fluff the grass back up.
Her husband came home and the first thing she said to him was...”watch him, he puts the dirt back and few other things and you can’t even tell he dug there!”
Boy that made me feel good!
Good job Pat!!! We all need to be considerate of the landowners!
Nice Micky Mouse lock Digsit!
Yeah, MRH nailed it - it does look like Mickey Mouse - too funny but not laughing at you.

That is a terrific lock, congratulations on that and your good judgement!

Tony
Reference URL's