Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 2 hunts = 2 1800s coins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On Sat. I went up to the trail where I found my silver dollar spill. Hunted around for three hours. Found two coins - 1920 wheat and a 1896 V-nickel, then on Sunday I went right over the state line into California to a old cattle ranch, only dug three pennies - 1974 mem, 1862 fatty indian and last a 1944-s wheat - trifecta! Thanks for lookin!
Good strategy to go back to the area Leo. A V in the area confirms the trail goes back a ways in time. Congrats on the finds and hope you get more there. And congrats on the cattle ranch penny trifecta.

I don't know what the scenario is out there on that trail as far as knowing that it's quite an expanse. If it were me, I'd go 50' or more off the trail along both sides as I'm sure a lot of what could be there would be in encampments of people staying out the night or day, depending upon the temperature back then and traveling conditions. In that event, what I'd do is search for trash spots in those areas and then, when I find them, hammer them to death. But like I said, your description is fairly vague as to strategy but you are making finds. I'm sure this trail isn't any kind of National Secret to detectorists so you have nothing to really lose. The sand also shifts a lot out there so there is always an opportunity available all along the trail.

Ed
Some good old finds!! Love the V nickel and you can’t beat a fatty IHP!! Good job!
Leo, congratulations on your recent finds.

Very cool area indeed and the history of where you are detecting is what would drive me back there many times.

Best of luck on your next jaunt in that area, you never know.

Tony
Congrats on the trifecta and the pair of 19th century coins. That trail Is a keeper , nowhere else t hunt , hit the trail.
Thanks for sharing the fun finds.
HH
Pat
Good deal Leo

gotta love those old greenies Yes
The trails have been good to you Leo and I hope you can continue to explore them. Like Ed, I was wondering if you stick right on the trails or do you venture out a bit; and are there obvious signs that an old camp/homesite/building is there or do you have to guess? That old IH is a neat dig!
This trail that I have been hunting is called the arrowhead trail and goes back to the mormons who started it in the 1850s, tons of trash and junk strewn all over it was the super highway through my area. Asfar as going off the trail, I have found a few goodies, but 98% of my finds are within 7 feet off either side. The area I found my dollars was a water runoff area and the trail was raised up about 4 foot off the desert floor for about a mile.when I lived in California I hunted parts of this trail in Barstow and Yermo. Also it had the first cars on it. There are signs of camp and stopping areas. I am not the first to hunt this trail. I just get what everyone else missed. I have found a few spots that were never detected and my friends and I just eat it up. Hope that answers a few questions.
Thanks for taking the time to enlighten us Leo. I appreciate the history lesson and I'm glad you have the opportunity to detect there. My first experience with MDing came some 60 years ago when I read the treasure magazines about hunting the trails and settlements of the early west and wished that I could do it myself. I know you work hard for your finds because so many areas have been searched for so long and you still find great stuff. Keep on posting and best of luck!
I was wondering about the details of your trails you hunt.
Reference URL's