Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #19 FTY, 4 Wheats, 54 Jeff, in da woods!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been to this large park numerous times but usually don't go until the weekend because it ain't too far from the Ranch but it's a ways from work. Anyway the woods there are loaded with trails in all directions and have been there many years. After I cut diagonally through a large section of woods I hit a trail that has a pretty clear edge of about 20' width before it drops off into a creek below. Since the overgrowth hasn't yet had a chance to bloom because of this crappy weather I swung around that edge of the trail and hit upon 1 wheat and then another with a 54 Jeff in the same dig. I kept going until the trail tee'd into another section of woods and remembered that in that section I'd found a lot of wheats and some silver in specific areas. Off I went. Halfway through I hit another wheat. Then about 30 feet away I got this real strong signal throwing a 6-29, 8-29 digital and high tone. Now the leaves there are about 3" deep and I was on 26 sense with the gain at 9 and Iron Mask at 16. I sweep the leaves away with my foot and there's a rosy staring up at me! Then about 10 feet away I hit another wheat. I don't know which wheats date wise go where because all I care is that they're wheats. 2 - 57D's, a 40 D and what looks like, under magnification, a 46. And honestly, I could probably make another 10 trips there and find more. The iron null is outrageous, however, as well as the flipping high tone NAILS, of which I dug several! What gets me is where did all these nails come from in the WOODS! Unless, maybe, possibly, they were burning pallets for campfires. That's the only thing I can think of!

GL & HH out there and have fun!

Ed
That is a great haul , and close to home for an easy return trip. Having read your posts for quite some time now I would have bet on you to have cleaned out all the close stuffTongue.
I look forward to hearing about the return trips.
HH
pat
(05-14-2018 08:00 AM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]That is a great haul , and close to home for an easy return trip. Having read your posts for quite some time now I would have bet on you to have cleaned out all the close stuffTongue.
I look forward to hearing about the return trips.
HH
pat

Thanks Pat! Yes those woods are a real treasure. I got my 1st ever Walking Liberty and Barber Quarter from them. About every third or fourth trip, I pull at least one silver. Although it's Metroparks now, years ago parts were a campground and other sections municipal baseball fields. It was also heavily used by the surrounding Boy and Girl Scout Troops. My Deb always asks me on the weekend if I'm going to the silver mine and she means that park. She spent a lot of her summers there when she was a teen. A long, long time ago! Chuckle And sometimes, just to reminisce, she'll come over with the dog and a sandwich!

Ed
Good job Ed. I don't think anyone else would go to the extent that you do to work those trashy and hunted out areas. So, if not for you, those woods finds would probably be lost forever. Nothing here like the parks you describe, except for the wooded state parks, which are off limits. When the state parks were accessible many years ago, the pool and playground areas were so silver loaded there was no real reason to hit the woods. There is no telling how much I missed by not venturing onto the trails and campsites. Moot point now, sadly.
Congratulations Ed! Nice finds for sure.

I too don’t understand how all the nails get into parks or the woods. We all dug or dig plenty, it’s crazy.

Best of luck,

Tony
(05-14-2018 10:16 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Good job Ed. I don't think anyone else would go to the extent that you do to work those trashy and hunted out areas. So, if not for you, those woods finds would probably be lost forever. Nothing here like the parks you describe, except for the wooded state parks, which are off limits. When the state parks were accessible many years ago, the pool and playground areas were so silver loaded there was no real reason to hit the woods. There is no telling how much I missed by not venturing onto the trails and campsites. Moot point now, sadly.

Thanks Shade! I am really disgusted with the rules they have here in reference to State Parks as well. I missed that window completely, however so at least you had an opportunity to do some of it. But I think to myself that in some circumstances when I come home with a $3 or $4 load of clad, how much silver there must have been there to begin with. You early starters in the detecting hobby were real lucky to have such a fantastic opportunity. It's tough going out there now. Anything left over is absolutely covered with trash.

Ed
Reference URL's