Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Sunday Surprise! #25 >27 ALL Mercury's!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been pretty busy at work with prepping for tournaments and chasing mowers with stripers, the few times I did get out I wound up with a few handfulls of clad and not much else. Not that I'm complaining about the clad because now I find enough to make the gas for the trip worth it in the RAV.

I took yesterday off, even though it was a dynamite day to go detecting, weather wise. I just didn't feel like it. I was in a kind of stretch and relax and have a few beers' day.

Today though I was back in the mood and got a late start (Noon) after securing and delivering 3 bags of mulch (The last 3 bags of Black Mulch Home Depot possessed.) for the live in plant lady (my wife) and helping her spread it.

So just as I land in an area I've done before and start snooping around, but this time with the sense at 28, I come upon this distinct tone with numbers jumping all over the place, and not holding no matter what I do. I only have my Hori, Hori digger so I dig a plug among the roots and find nothing with the pinpointer. Suddenly a very large flash appears and a clap of thunder shakes the ground. I'm only 100 yards from the RAV and I start running. For the next 20 minutes after I get to the RAV it pours buckets of rain. I check radar and it's all going to be over in 20 minutes. I wait it out.

After the weather settles I go back to the same spot and this time with my compact shovel. And I turn the sense up to 30. And I get it. It's a 1939 Merc, 12" down, in the clay 4 inches below the upper layer of forest humus, after digging 2 plugs. Sweep the area, same signal but weaker. 4" over from the 1939 Mercury a 1937 Mercury. Same depth, and a lot of mineralization and iron nails or something. Start my circles as best I can around 2 very large oak trees. Here we go again! Signal all over the place but tone high and intermittent. Dig a 1940 wheat, a 1942 Canadian penny (not shown) and finally some signal for silver. A 1941 Mercury. All above were between 11 and 12" deep and all were so iffy that a newbie would have passed them easily. On both areas I dug a total of 18" diameter plugs when all said and done. Also dug about 6 pieces of nails, bolts, whatever, in an around the same spots. Halo from iron with the 11" Pro coil is tremendous at 30 sense.

GL & HH out there and have fun! And FIND SOMETHING!

Ed
Good job Ed = still killin it I see!
(06-03-2018 06:51 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Good job Ed = still killin it I see!

Thanks MRH! I upped the sense. I have always found silver between 5 and 8" and went on that premise for a long time with the sense at 22 or 24 and the gain at 7 or 8. I was always afraid of going full pop on the sense and the gain with the SE PRO because of all the iron, but I'm finding that the detecting is slower, more discerning of targets, and the rewards are greater. I'm going to keep running in this venue for a while and see how it goes. So far, so good, A sincere good luck to you too up there.

Ed
Nice, nice, and nice! What a great streak you are on Ed. Being willing to experiment with your detector has opened up great new possibilities for you and provided a good lesson to us all. "Hunted out" sites are fair game for you now. Greetings to the flower lady; among your many treasures, I'm sure she's at the top of the list.
Ed, you’ll have to change your moniker to “Mr. Deep”, if you keep it up and I hope you do!
Great work, congratulations!

Tony
Nice finds shows Dedication waiting out the rain most would have been done for the day.
Thanks everyone.

@Tony
I don't know about Mr. Deep, but thank you very much for the compliment! Yes Maybe you know how difficult it is to find deep coins. Man, you have to test sweep and dig all over the place. The reward is fabulous but the digging is real work! Especially with all the nails and trash and trying to not damage the coin!!! No

@Shade
A triple play is what I called it and thanks Shade! Now if I don't get off the puter and spread more mulch, I'm toast. Chuckle

@ Redd
Thanks! It's either Dedication or Addiction and I can't really say which, but it works! Yes
Reference URL's