Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 1 more little silver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Friday morning before I started my weekend with Dad I hit a late 1800’s house that I haven’t hit since last year. A couple “V” nickels and a pocket watch back was the best I found. This time I did get a worn 1916 mercury. I did dig a few big Iron pieces. My uncle thought the wrench with the square end was for the covered wagons!

I hit Dads house a couple times when time allowed and only clad. But.... I’m at least swinging and digging.
Cool beans

I like the ornate sash buckle looking piece the most Yes
Good to see that you are getting in dig now and then as time allows. It's fun and it's therapy, so do your best to keep it up. I like your recent finds, and silver is always a bonus. Being partial to old tools, I'd like to see if you can soak and clean that old square end wrench; might be a keeper.
(06-10-2018 10:39 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Good to see that you are getting in dig now and then as time allows. It's fun and it's therapy, so do your best to keep it up. I like your recent finds, and silver is always a bonus. Being partial to old tools, I'd like to see if you can soak and clean that old square end wrench; might be a keeper.

How do I go about cleaning it up?

(06-10-2018 10:10 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Cool beans

I like the ornate sash buckle looking piece the most Yes

I’m assuming you mean this piece. It does have some silver playing on it. Both sides. I’ve not a clue what it is/was

Or this one?
Great finds OTH! I love that square end wrench. My dad had one like that with a leather wrapped handle and then I got it but it's been missing for a while now. Those other iron pieces may be from a wagon. Glad to see you got out! Yes

Ed
Hi OTH: There are several ways to clean up old rusty tools. You can do an internet search or visit other MDing sites for info. You can soak in oil, WD40, vinegar, mild acids, etc and brush off scale and deposits with a wire bristle brush or scotch-brite pad. Or you can use a commercial product like Evapo-rust or naval jelly. And also you can do an electrolysis bath. Ron(Ca) here on the forum demonstrated his electrolysis unit in a video--you can check it out. Easy and effective. Just depends on how keen you are on playing with the old tools and how much time you want to spend, and of course, how much metal is left to work with.
OTH, those are some cool finds for sure, congratulations! Good that you got out and relaxed a bit and it paid off!

Tony
Reference URL's