Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Found another item. What is it??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Another item that my great uncle has brought back from WWII. Looks as if it is a letter opener but where the handle would be is very strange, crude, unfinished looking and rub. Any ideas?
I can't deny it could be a letter opener. The handle may have been wrapped in leather. That portion is awfully sharp looking for it not to be wrapped in something. Unique antique for sure. Hope someone with some WW knowledge can pipe in.

Ed
Hi OTH: You need to look up German trench art from WW1 era. It was fashionable at that time to use shrapnel, shell casings, bullets etc. to make useful and decorative art pieces, such as letter openers like the one you have. I think the entire artifact was made from a single piece of metal with the handle left rough and jagged, for effect. They are highly collectible. Saw a great many such openers on memorabilia sites, and they looked very similar to yours. The military cross seems to have been a popular theme.
(06-14-2018 12:57 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Hi OTH: You need to look up German trench art from WW1 era. It was fashionable at that time to use shrapnel, shell casings, bullets etc. to make useful and decorative art pieces, such as letter openers like the one you have. I think the entire artifact was made from a single piece of metal with the handle left rough and jagged, for effect. They are highly collectible. Saw a great many such openers on memorabilia sites, and they looked very similar to yours. The military cross seems to have been a popular theme.

I think your spot on Shade!!! You da-man!! I’ve added a pic of another
Way cool. I like it plenty.

Tony
Reference URL's