Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #32 FTY! Broke the Rosie Streak!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With a nicely worn 1920 Merc. I've never found a 1920 Merc, (I think?) Anyway, I was really tired after work because I'm converting an old ticket booth, (Outhouse, from the coaches standpoint! Chuckle ), to a panel cabinet enclosure for the field power breaker box and one of the irrigation control panels. It's one of those jobs I've been meaning to get to for the last 2 seasons and finally found a good deal of time to give it some thought. Tricky engineering involved to keep one wall intact and demo the remainder of the booth and then turn it into a watertight electrical cabinet, but nervous or not, am about halfway through the plan with no injuries except for the damn wasps and yellow jackets hiding in the roof framing. Also thanks to my college boys who follow instructions well.

Although I slept like a log last night, this getting old and doing tricky redevelopment took a toll today for some reason and as I was driving to the park I was considering just going home to take a shower, have a couple of cold ones and then take a nap! But as I got down into the park, with it's rolling turns and beautiful scenery, I seemed to somehow come back to myself and become reinvigorated.

I stopped at an old standby and got to it. For all intents and purposes, this coin read just like a high relief memorial. At 8" deep at the edge of a river retaining area, full of mosquitoes, I might add, the signal was strong at the high settings and since I'd been there for over half an hour with absolutely nothing, I decided I'd dig it. Expecting a penny, I got a Merc. Some days are different than other days.

And now, Ladies and Gentleman, I'm going to take a nap!

GL & HH out there, enjoy the scenery, count your blessings and have fun!

Ed
Rosies or Mercs; it doesn't matter as long as you are still on a silver streak. Well done! Now, enjoy that well earned nap.
Ed, good luck on your new project. You are such a good person to donate that kind of time for children

Nice going on #32, congratulations.

Do you use VDI numbers or only go by the sound these days?

Tony
(06-15-2018 07:30 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Ed, good luck on your new project. You are such a good person to donate that kind of time for children

Nice going on #32, congratulations.

Do you use VDI numbers or only go by the sound these days?

Tony

Tony,

I rely heavily on tone and use VID to verify. Now this ain't an exact science to say the least. But my style is to seriously evaluate a signal. I've gotten to the point now where I pass up 20 signals for every one that I actually dig. It depends on my mood what signals I choose to dig most of the time based on tone and VID. My 2 dig perspectives are gold or silver. (No gold lately.) My 2 major choices here, among Vulgarities, are aluminum crap, screw caps or iron; as in slag, mineralization, beer bottle caps or nails, wire and sometime chunks of fuel line, copper pipe, (Damn it!). In a three hour hunt, low and slow, high settings, if I'm in the trash, it takes me about that time to cover 4 - 5 foot wide strips about 200 feet long each. And if I dig five or six iffy's, that's about normal. I'm real lazy! Chuckle Or maybe that day I'm REALLY lazy and there are a lot of trees, so I'll do 12-50 foot sweeps, keeping the same low and slow pace. Then, when I return, I hit that area again at ~90 degrees to my original pattern. That's if I'm on grass. I've found that keeping disciplined with the patterns makes a big difference. In the woods, however, it's really hard to keep a pattern. No

But the one thing I did notice with the Minelab SE Pro over the years, compared to the AT Pro, was that the VID is much, much more accurate and gives you many more opportunities. And in a lot of strange ways! Sometimes the SE acts like an Etrac in that when you see, oh lets' say 11-28,29, 12-28,29, with tone, but then you when you cross check it, the numbers fall closer to normal for good targets. Not all of the time but enough to make a dig call. Like that 1920 today. Tone was there, numbers showed honest to God high relief penny or maybe even a wheat. Cross checking I was getting sometimes up to 15-29. 15 is brass. I made the decision to dig it. After digging the Merc and re-sweeping, there was nothing there! Not even null.

Hunch? Educated guess? Yes. That's part of the game. But in reality it all comes down to the user of the machine and the experience he has with it. If they ever make another version of the SE Pro and get away from this i stuff, I'll fly to Australia to pick one up!

Congrats again on that 23 Merc, Tony. For your neck of the woods that was a hell of a find!

Ed
Ed, I understand and I probably do most of that as well. I just use different words to say it. Your words come out as in a well written book. Mine are more bottom line with not many details or descriptions.

I usually just go over an area by feeling. Today I go this way, tomorrow I go that way, no real pattern but I always hope for a gut feeling when to go left or right.
I love it when you get a feeling and check out a spot and hit a good target. That to me makes it more fun and sort of like magical. Crazy but it is weird how we can almost
know that a target is close by....almost scary.

I too try to hit gold or silver and look for those numbers depending on what park or field I am detecting.

Thanks again and best of luck.

Tony
Reference URL's