Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #34 FTY! Strange signal, strange dig!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd been meaning to get to this area since I found a Merc there about 3 years ago but for some reason I just never did. I had swung it 2 times that I can remember back then. It's a small area that's about 60 x 60 feet with a big old sycamore tree in the middle, next to the bridle trail, and loaded with iron. That's probably why I put it off because I wasn't real familiar with the SE Pro back then. It was such a nice day I decided to go there and nose around with these new settings. In 5 minutes I get this real screwy VID with and exceptional tone, but the tone only at certain angles of sweep. 6x8 coil. Half the time the VID wants to be a clad dime, the other half a high relief penny. I target it and dig it up. It's a clad dime at 4". Put all that back together and stomp on it and now I'm getting solid silver high tone and much better numbers. An occasional 3-29 mixed again with the 4-28. On targeting it's right along side the plug I just dug, but deeper. Cut a crescent out along the edge of the original hole. Wow, I'm just getting a signal with the pinpointer about 2" to the side of the original plug and under some spidery roots. Thrust that Hori, Hori down and give it a pry. Up pops a bunch of dirt and in the hole I see a rim, a silver rim. Camera time!

So this coin was almost directly alongside a clad dime at a depth of what I estimate to be around 7", or 3" below the clad. The rest of the afternoon, of course, NOTHING!

It is what it is.

GL & HH out there and have fun!

Ed
Well done Ed! You keep on wresting those reluctant silvers out from the clutches of the earth. I guess the lesson is that in those strange signals, the detector is reporting what it samples, and if we can't quite decipher the meaning, then it's worth a dig. Given all the advancements in detector electronics I have wondered why there couldn't be some type of algorithm incorporated into the programming that would allow the user to punch a button and get a split screen showing the two most likely targets/depths in the case of multiple confusing IDs. This might be more Star Trek than reality, but I do like to think about what might be possible. It just entered my mind that since I'm not really active in the hobby and the literature right now, such advances might already be out there, and I'm just not aware of them.
WTG Ed, congratulations! You are doing what you do best and that is getting a feel for a site and the good targets.

Best of luck

Tony
Awsome ODF,now we are both at 34 silver coins for the year.today it was 109 and 89 at sun rise with 26% humidity and lots of smoke in the air from a big fire at Redrock. Just awful.
(06-25-2018 08:56 PM)leo aranza Wrote: [ -> ]Awsome ODF,now we are both at 34 silver coins for the year.today it was 109 and 89 at sun rise with 26% humidity and lots of smoke in the air from a big fire at Redrock. Just awful.

Thanks Leo! I'm glad to see that I'm keeping up with you. I consider you to be a professional detectorist. But if I lived in Vegas, we'd be going detecting; heat, smoke and all. I pack 2 - 22oz frozen bottles of water in 90F weather with 70% humidity. Out there, I'd carry 6. Let's get going Leo! No more whining! Chuckle

Ed
Reference URL's