Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Two days of working the woods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Saturday and today, I was invited by two buddies from the club to hunt the woods in North Jersey. Well these guys are like Ed - they like to walk into the woods where others haven't gone before or at least not that many because of the real long hike to get to that spot.
Saturday I was able to get a 1923 wheat and some old brass/lead stuff. One friend dug three Indians and a 1943 Washington quarter - no picture sorry about that.

Today, we go back and try a different area, up a step hill and down into an area where most will probably not hike these days. Ticks for all of us both days.

Today, I found a wheat cent but no date and several head stamps as Ed calls them. I also found a few three ringers- Civil War era types. One was real long with what could be four rings which I have never seen before.
No silver for anyone on these hunts but it beats going to the gym.......ha ha ha...

Best of luck to all,

Tony
Nice collection for working the woods! It's very hard to find silver in the woods unless you repeatedly hit the same woods for weeks at a time. So I am not surprised you and your friends didn't. But there's a great deal of hope in those woods you are hunting. That long bullet, I think, is either a 45-70 or 50-70, although I've never seen one with a sharp nose. The 45 rifles were produced by Springfield Armory from 1863 to 1873. In 1873 the Army had the same rifle bored and refitted with a sleeve for the 50 Cal. In the late 1870's the Army sold the remaining 45-70's to the general public as they were a very accurate rifle and very suitable for hunting big game. The 50's became available in the 1890's, I think. Anyway, to find such old bullets in that area makes me want to take a road trip and do some hiking! Chuckle Yes it's a lot of exercise. The Spring and Fall are the best times to hunt them. But the scenery is what makes it a real experience!

Ed
Ed, thank you and thank you for that information on the long bullet. I was wondering about it all day. Pretty cool!
Yeah this area could produce some moe good targets but that will have to wait for awhile, chores and baby sitting coming up.
I understand what you mean about silver in the woods being few and far between. Under the trees was perfect for this hot weather.
There probably are a few Cilvil War training camps in yiour area but like us there is no X marks the location.

Tony
(06-25-2018 06:17 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Nice collection for working the woods! It's very hard to find silver in the woods unless you repeatedly hit the same woods for weeks at a time. So I am not surprised you and your friends didn't. But there's a great deal of hope in those woods you are hunting. That long bullet, I think, is either a 45-70 or 50-70, although I've never seen one with a sharp nose. The 45 rifles were produced by Springfield Armory from 1863 to 1873. In 1873 the Army had the same rifle bored and refitted with a sleeve for the 50 Cal. In the late 1870's the Army sold the remaining 45-70's to the general public as they were a very accurate rifle and very suitable for hunting big game. The 50's became available in the 1890's, I think. Anyway, to find such old bullets in that area makes me want to take a road trip and do some hiking! Chuckle Yes it's a lot of exercise. The Spring and Fall are the best times to hunt them. But the scenery is what makes it a real experience!

Ed
That's a good dose of history in that pile of lead Tony, and I'm a bit envious when I look it over. Sorry you didn't snag a silver coin for your efforts, but I'm hoping you enjoyed the hunt anyway. I know what you mean about the ticks, so go back in the fall and hit the place again; it deserves another look.
Thank you Shade. I did enjoy being out with others and away from my hunted out parks where I live.
The history part of this hunt was a surprise for sure, no brag just happy and glad you enjoyed seeing them today.
We will go back there but not for awhile. We could wait for the cold weather and avoid the ticks - now that would be smart.
Tony
(06-25-2018 08:31 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]That's a good dose of history in that pile of lead Tony, and I'm a bit envious when I look it over. Sorry you didn't snag a silver coin for your efforts, but I'm hoping you enjoyed the hunt anyway. I know what you mean about the ticks, so go back in the fall and hit the place again; it deserves another look.
Not that I don’t like silver coins but boy I would love to find a Civil War bullet. I have never found one and probably never will around here. Congrats Tony that’s a bunch of cool bullets
Thanks OTH.

You never know. These type of bullets were also used by folks for hunting after the army sales declined or the army moved to different types of bullets.

Ed, said the long 45 - 70 was used in a Springfield rifle and I looked it up. It was very accurate and after the CW folks used that caliber for hunting.
Best of luck out there,

Tony
(06-26-2018 10:07 AM)ohioturkeyhunter Wrote: [ -> ]Not that I don’t like silver coins but boy I would love to find a Civil War bullet. I have never found one and probably never will around here. Congrats Tony that’s a bunch of cool bullets
Cool digs there BT
Thank you Wayne, I knew you would enjoy seeing those mini balls.

Tony
(06-30-2018 03:37 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Cool digs there BT
Reference URL's