Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: A little bit of GOLD!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
And not to toot my horn, (Well, maybe a little! Chuckle ), but another 70 F day with a nice breeze and I headed for the woods, away from the crowds, smells of hot dogs grilling and again at one with nature. So after digging pull tabs, screw caps, headstamps, and a damnable memorial penny (1962), I come upon this whopper 1-30 with a screamer high tone. I dig it. The rest is history. I have the winder too. You know what they say, a picture tells a thousand words. And you never know what you're going to find in the woods! (That you've been through a gazillion times!) Sad

It took me a while to get the actual guts of the watch out of the case, where I knew all the juicy info was. It was really toast. And too bad, because in good working condition, they are worth some money!

GL & HH out there and have fun!

Ed
Ed, that is a very cool find, congratulations!

How right you are - you never know what you are going to find out there and that is what makes this one crazy hobby.

Tony
What a nice surprise find that was Ed. Glad you were able to extract the manufacturing data from the case. Gruen was once the big name in watches and with Ohio connections too.
Nice chunk to add to the scrap gold pile Ed!
Thanks guys! I appreciate the Kudos!

I went over that spot again the next day, but with the 11" Pro coil, and the signals I thought could be deeper were pieces of barbed fence line. The area is actually a very old wagon road which was abandoned in the early 20th century and used only by the local horseman from that time on. I've been following this road through it's up's and down's, left and right turns for about the 13 or 14 miles that it exists in the "Big City". As you'll recall my first You Tube video, "Life in the Big City". It's cut through by Interstate 71, the Ohio Turnpike, and many, many housing developments and new roads to accommodate the influx of development after WW 2. In actuality, there were wagon roads all over the place. Some are now major thoroughfares, but most were left forgotten, into and through adjacent swamps, along and too close to rivers and many other aspects that disallowed the safe passage of the horseless carriage. It's a sight to behold, when you walk along through a massive expanse of woods, and suddenly before you there are lined up rows of old, old trees, while all the other forest about you dwindles in the perspective. And you discover that your not just in the woods, you're on a road from long ago. Many times they were property borders, fenced and maintained. Not now though. They became hunting, trapping and fishing areas throughout the early 20th century through WW 2, for the old timers that.... still have the memories of doing what they did in the outdoors. That's where I hunt in the woods. I follow the hunters, the farmers, the fishermen, the trappers. Some of the oldest men I know trapped along these old roads for money to live during the 30's. They told me everywhere they went. I've found silver, old silver and many artifacts, almost every time I went there, which is everywhere in the woods.

It's out there fellas, in one form or another. Cherish the woods, because it's not so much permissions, it's verbal history from old men and their fathers. Stuff that will be forgotten over time because of municipal and state development. And trust me. It's not on the maps.

You just have to go find it.

Kudos to all of you too.

Ed

(06-30-2018 03:35 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Nice chunk to add to the scrap gold pile Ed!

Thanks MRH and I hope you're not plastering in this heat. Nevada heat is one thing but this humidity is ridiculous. Thinking here of making a mold for a helmet made of ice I can wear detecting so my brain doesn't fry. Chuckle If it ain't fried already!

And why do Mosquitoes LOVE this weather?

Ed
Reference URL's