Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Lucky day at coin machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since I don't get out with the detector anymore, I do my hunting at the Coinstar machine at the grocery store. Yesterday was a great day as I found 2 Mercury dimes ('38 & '44) in the mix, along with a Bahamian and a Canadian quarter. Hard to imagine 2 silvers in random change, so I'm guessing a bag or box of older coins got sent through and these dimes got kicked out. Timing was good as a man came in right behind me and processed a bag of coins; but he checked the kickout tray as he finished and had I not been there a few minutes earlier, he would have gotten the Mercs.
Nice catch Shade! Nice timing too! I always forget to check the two I know of when grocery shopping for the missus'. I do remember last time I checked I had two Canadian steel dimes. So you had a good eye that day! Have a great weekend and stay cool!

Ed
WTG Shade, congratulations on those cool finds!

I know what you mean with timing the coin star machine just right! I hit one this past week and scored about 95 pennies in the tray. Not silver but spendable coins and that is what a coin hunter lives for....cash! No sooner did I turn and walk away, say fifty feet someone went to the machine to turn in his coins.

Best of luck with that machine and keeping your silver count going up for the year!

Tony
Hey Tony: I would never have found them but for you. I must have passed the coin machine at the grocery a thousand times without ever even thinking about checking the kickout tray; absolutely oblivious to the fact that I could glean a few treasures there. Then shortly after joining this forum I read a post from you about finding a Rosie in your local machine and after that, the hunt was on! Thanks for the big tip. Since then I have gotten 5 silvers, many wheats, (including a rare 1909-S), several steel cents, and quite a few of the $1 coins. It's fun.
Your welcome Shade! I like to help folks and this one is an easy and rewarding for folks in our hobby.

Today I was able to grab two wheat cents, a foreign coin an a religious coin I thought was brass - but it a tracks to a magnet.

Tony

(07-01-2018 11:38 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Tony: I would never have found them but for you. I must have passed the coin machine at the grocery a thousand times without ever even thinking about checking the kickout tray; absolutely oblivious to the fact that I could glean a few treasures there. Then shortly after joining this forum I read a post from you about finding a Rosie in your local machine and after that, the hunt was on! Thanks for the big tip. Since then I have gotten 5 silvers, many wheats, (including a rare 1909-S), several steel cents, and quite a few of the $1 coins. It's fun.
Reference URL's