Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 6:00 am Beach/Water Hunt in the Big Lake w/Excal II :D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Arrived at the waterfront at 6:00 am sharp Sunday morning with Excal ready at the helm to be sure I was the 1st one on the scene and that played out good because within 1 hr another 2 guys showed up together with their ATP's and a 1/2 hr after that another guy showed up with his ATP too :No

Was a nice 74 degrees upon arrival with a steady 8 mph S/W breeze as the sun was just breaking the eastern horizon. A bit of overcast made for an enjoyable/comfortable hunt as I've had enough of that sun already! Water temps now around 70 after a few 90 degree days for the last 3 days in a row.

I was working the cuts where the waves were breaking and cutting the shoreline in knee deep water. Waves running 2 to 4 ft so it was a bit rough to stay steady and freely swing but I didn't do too bad for the conditions. No gold today but managed a Mexico .925 Silver Band, one junker ring, a .50 cent size token from a well known/big car dealer in the area, some clad, a Ford GT and misc Big Grin

Notice the Black Sand/magnetite patches mixed in along the shore = magnetic and makes VLF's go nuts so that's why the thumbs down on the ATP's above because I know they were struggling in that stuff! I had my Multi Kruzer out there a couple days ago and she was running chatty/falsing on that stuff unless I turned the sensitivity way down (which is why I chose the Excal for this trip) Yes

All targets were anywhere from around 9" to 14" +/- deep including the Silver Band = that sucker was deep/had to scoop 3xs to get ahold of it with 12" bucket on scoop and the foot of it was buried a good 3" or so deeper than it is long.

Thanks for looking/reading Yes

[Image: rhpf92.jpg]

[Image: 2ptpjj7.jpg]

[Image: sgmkd4.jpg]

[Image: 2iu6icy.jpg]

[Image: v4mr6b.jpg]

[Image: 20q02te.jpg]
Great pictures of that beach area!
Cool finds, and congratulations on the targets and the silver ring!
The token is cool too.

Best of luck

Tony
Great hunt on that beach and the surf MRH! You were lucky with the weather there. Not even going to T storm in our spots. You can hear the thunder through the headphones but it's all rolling SW to NE and missing us by a few miles while we swelter in the humidity. Being out with my SE Pro, even in the forest, has me digging up weighty iron rocks just out of curiosity, so I feel your pain!

Nice pics and write up too! Congrats on that .925 ring! YesBeer , water, salt and a WET towel!

Ed
I liked the pictures and the great description of your hunt. Nice find with the ring. In the past when you and others talked about Michigan beach hunting I never even thought about all the magnetite particles in the sand to complicate things.That one picture was stunning. Hope you can get back after the 4th; surely someone will lose a nice gold ring over the holiday stretch.
Good finds, I’ve been hitting the water with my Excal II also
Reference URL's