Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #37 FTY, Old Spot but Nice Weather!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been to this park a dozen times in the past long ago and kinda gave up on it because it's so trashy and full of iron mineral that it's a nightmare to detect. But I got off of work early and had some time to kill and the weather was beautiful. Now I can't say that I've ever found silver in this park but I have found a boatload of wheats and clad. Being that I'm trying a new method of detecting, with the Minelab SE Pro, I decided to just go for it, low and slow and take my time!

Well it worked! I started getting a bit of clad then I came upon 2 wheats about a foot apart. I said to myself that if they missed the wheats, what else could they have missed? About 20 minutes later I hit this real nice high tone reading 7-29, 1-29 and at various angles sometimes 7-28 and 3-28. (There's a ton of Iron mineralization which makes dancing around a signal real screwy at times!) But the tone was the clue. I figure the 43 D Merc was down about 7 inches and came up in the tailings of the deep left side of the plug. The ground there is a mix of shale and river rock and has it's moments trying to get a resemblance of a plug out onto the grass.

After that I found more clad, one a 1966 quarter at 9", two Sunoco antique car tokens, 2 of the biggest fishing weights I've ever dug (Each and easy 2 oz.) and 2 more wheats. Dates on those were 44D, 52, 50 & 53D.

Glad to have gotten another silver on the board for July. It's been a miserable month at work and with the weather!

GL & HH out there!

Ed
WTG Ed, congratulations on number 37!

You probably will go back there because it sounds like there just might be some more keepers lurking about that area.

Best of luck,

Tony
(07-27-2018 07:05 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]WTG Ed, congratulations on number 37!

You probably will go back there because it sounds like there just might be some more keepers lurking about that area.

Best of luck,

Tony

Thanks Tony! I will return there but it's so exhausting to detect. Every foot there's a high tone. "To dig or not to dig! That is the question!" I had to take a 15 minute break in the AC of the car just parked there to get my bearings for the drive home! ChuckleNo

Good luck to you this weekend, if the weather cooperates!

Ed
You have come up with another great find Ed; that coin is in superb condition. Congrats on a hard earned victory. The more I read your posts and those of other hunters here I am certain that this is the essence of coin hunting on public property in the 2000's. Tedious efforts and strong willed dedication for nice but very rare returns. If I had a time machine I would gladly take you back with me and let you experience a time when a handful of silver coins was an average day's results. You deserve such a reward!
(07-28-2018 08:12 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]You have come up with another great find Ed; that coin is in superb condition. Congrats on a hard earned victory. The more I read your posts and those of other hunters here I am certain that this is the essence of coin hunting on public property in the 2000's. Tedious efforts and strong willed dedication for nice but very rare returns. If I had a time machine I would gladly take you back with me and let you experience a time when a handful of silver coins was an average day's results. You deserve such a reward!

Thanks Shade! I wish I could go back. I've bumped into some old timers, (older than you and me), at some parks where they told me that particular park was a "Sea" of silver coins. I can't even imagine that now, with the effort put forth to find just one. But it must have been. I think that's why it's important to post just one sometimes. Because they are out there and the challenge in this 21st century is to find them. And it certainly is a challenge!

Ed
Reference URL's