Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Copper culture/Woodland period awl!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I didnt post this with my finds from yesterday because I wanted to be sure of what I had before I posted. I was detecting below what was thought to be an old Native trading post before my colonial shoreline hunt. I thought I was going to dig a copper based on the numbers and tone on the etrac, but this item came out instead! It has been identified as a copper culture/Woodland period awl (1000BC-1000AD). I'm still a bit in shock lol.
Wow, that is a good bit of relic history right there, congratulations!

You really know your relics. If I found that item I probably wouldn't recognize it for a relic, but that is me.

Best of luck,

Tony
That's a Wow for sure Relic! Yes You must be at a river that was extensively used by the later cultures after Clovis. Although I can't say it may not have been them. Because there is no distinct defined line between stone and bronze/copper ages in the Americas, that I know of. I do know that the Vikings supposedly mined a boatload of copper in the UP of Michigan. And good eye to stop and take a research moment. My guess that it may have been used as a canoe carver is a wild shot, but as an awl I don't find perspective. Unless it was used to split wood as the use of tenons and mortise didn't develop for a while. Can you elaborate on the details? It would be of unique interest to me.

Ed
I will tell you everything I know about it. Here it goes

*crickets*

A guy who knows his stuff said he believes it is Woodland period, possibly an awl. It is made of copper. It was found in the bank where salt water meets fresh water in a river. There was native activity there for sure. 100% certain. The trading post remark is wrong I think. That came from the local who also said there was an HBC post in the area, but there never was. That's about all I know Ed. Sorry bud
That is an absolutely fantastic find Medic and I'm very happy for you! As you research that item you'll see that once copper found its way into the Indian cultures it quickly became a favorite material for tools, weapons, and art; and just about any thing that had been made of stone could now be made from copper. This would include arrow points, axes,adzes, awls, needles, fish hooks, beads, effigy items, breastplates----you name it and it could be found in copper form. The upper tier of states were particularly blessed with good copper deposits and the Indians made the most of it. You have a great relic there. Can you show a pic with a reference in it for size?
@Shade: That's a good point about size. Although from the pic it looks like a two handed item. And your mention of copper adaptation among the native tribes in North America is well noted, especially around the major copper deposits. As to the two handed item, two hands is what makes me think it was a canoe scraper. In both the Pacific Islands and Asian Far East, trees and palm of enormous size were cut, split and hollowed to become means of water transportation, which were very effective to populate all of the inhabited islands of the south Pacific and Western coast of the Americas. This is fact from Archaeological studies. Now if such an item was developed for said purpose, then the time period for Relics scale would be accurate. Although, and there's always an although, it may swing either way, timewise. And that's the mystery of our detecting ability. To find questions that bring more questions.

And in my off moments, I read droves of books about what we don't know. Just so I can sleep! Chuckle

Ed
It's around 4" long and about 3/8" at its widest point
Thanks for the note on dimensions Medic. I hope you plan on checking that place again as you may have chanced upon a village site. Projectile points lost during hunting are often found randomly, but utilitarian items, such as your awl, were very often made, used, and discarded in a domestic setting. Congrats again.

A note to Ed: So glad to see that you are an avid reader. I suspected as much from the comments you have made on many subjects. It saddens me to see that so few people today ever pick up a single book.
Thank you for the information. I'll have to do some reading. It bugs me when I mess facts up, or don't have any at all to offer
Reference URL's