Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Lost engagement ring, wedding ring and anniversary ring found!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am a member of “theringfinders.com“. I received a message from a lady that told me she was kayaking in the hocking river and overturned and lost her engagement ring, wedding ring and anniversary ring. I called her and made a time to meet her at the Canoe livery where she was at. It was a four hour trip for her and an hour and a half trip for me but we met up there at 3:30 PM yesterday. After taking a side-by-side upstream about a mile we came to the spot in the river where the kayak capsized. There was a log stretching over the narrowed river that her kayak hit and overturned her. The water was flowing fast as I got out into waist deep water I could barely keep myself in one spot without the water pushing me backwards. I will be honest, I thought there was going to be no way that I would be able to get these rings even if I found them. There were big rocks and tree roots through out the majority of the spot. I had her show me the exact spot where she fell in and she said the current took her down stream about 50 feet to where she finally got to her feet and got out. Now I am thinking that the ring could be anywhere throughout that 50 feet of swift water. I took a junk ring that I had and tied it to a piece of fishing line and waited out into the current And I dropped the ring into the current and noticed that it was 2 to 3 feet possibly 4 feet downstream of where I dropped it. That gave me an idea of where to start. Trying to keep in the right depth and area where she capsized, I started about 10 feet below where she went in and work my way up to The log that tipped her. After digging a aluminum blob and a pulltab, I got a good signal up near, within 4 feet of, the Size spot. I told her not to get her hopes up but I had a good gold or nickel signal on my excaliber II. I wrestled my scoop to the bottom after pinpointing it and took a big scoop and pulled it up. I swung the ExCal back over the hole and heard a good signal again. My first thought was I missed it and it has actually moved down about 6 inches. Right before dumping that scoop I thought to myself that I have multiple targets so I better take this scoop full and dump it on the shore so I did. When I dumped that scoop out there was a shiny white gold anniversary band! She grabbed it immediately and squealed. I told her I still have a signal out there hopefully it would be the rest of the set so back in the water I went. Pinpointed the good signal and took a scoop and pulled it up, ran the metal detector over the whole, no more signal. I told her that whatever it is is in the scoop and took it to the shore and dumped it out. No rings seen. I ran the metal detector over the pile of gravel and it give me that awesome gold sound. I told her your rings are in there! And she dove in to the gravel pile and come out with the wedding and engagement ring!! She screamed like she had just seen a snake and took off running about 20 feet and dropped to her knees and started crying loudly! During this our search several kayakers had stopped on the sandbar and she had told them what I was doing so by this time I had an audience of about 6 to 8 couples. One of the ladies that was on the sandbar with us walked over and hugged her! She came over and give me a big hug and they were high-fives all around and it was an awesome moment!

I have not been out metal detecting in a long time. My mother passed away on May 26 and my father having dementia has been in and out of the hospital, in and out of the psych ward of the hospital, in and out of an assisted care facility and is now in a nursing home for dementia also timers patients. My wife was in the emergency room in room 21 at the exact same time my dad was in the emergency room in room 19 and they got transferred to hospital room 257 and 258 to make it easy on me to visit both. My wife had gallbladder surgery and has since got out and is doing better. A little over a week ago, my mother-in-law who lives with us fell and broke her hip at 89 years old and she is in a nursing home at this time. I don’t tell you this for sympathy, just letting you know why I have not been on this website much lately. Also just to let you know that how good it really felt to have something good happen in my life. Finding those rings for that girl and seeing her reaction was the best thing that has happened to me in a LONG time!
I wish I could shake your hand and give you a great big pat on the back OTH! What a grand story this is. With all your problems you still undertook a long journey with even longer odds of success to try to help a stranger. This is the the very best face of metal detecting that everyone should see. Nice story and pics ( I can see the strong current in the river). So damn proud of you and happy for you! I know you're feeling very good inside right now.
What an excellent story and such a great experience for you! I can tell by the smile on your face! In general people don't know that the majority of us detectorists are a pretty ethical and moral people. I'm so glad you had a crowd there. Hopefully the experience will stick with them!

I also pray your wife gets well because sometimes gallbladder surgery isn't anything to fool around with. I'm sure that a little change in diet will help her recover.

And I wish you all the strength and faith you will need to deal with the coming days with your father. My mother passed from the same disease in early 2009 at age 86 and for her last year, as your father, in a nursing facility, she was totally oblivious to me, my brother and any family that stopped by to say hello. As soon as the priest administered the last rights, she died the following morning, almost as if she knew, somehow, that she had been absolved.

Take care of yourself and we'll wait for your comeback, although I think this ring thing tops it out for now! Congrats and keep the faith!

Ed/Ohio Dirt Fisher

And I also Vote BANNER!
I appreciate the very kind words!! I’m sure 90% of the guys on here would’ve done the exact same thing if they could’ve!!
Great job as fantastic ambassador of this hobby!!
Nice work OTH
Wow, such a terrific story, congratulations on that recovery! You are the man! WTG!

Sorry to hear of those family troubles, may God Bless!

Tony
Reference URL's