Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #46 & 47 FTY! 1942 Washington &......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
a 1916 REAL CLEAN Barber dime! And the dime I thought was a penny, but had tone and only max a 7-27 VID, was 9+ inches down and surprised the hell out of me. I scraped around the bottom of the plug after removing another at least 2" and I saw the bluish silver hint of a dime. At that point I said whoa, it's silver! Popped it out and HOLY COW it's a Barber! The 42 Washington I would have expected at this park, but the dime, never. Also dug a BSA folding knife about ten feet from the Washington. Whether that has any meaning, I don't know, but I've been through this area a dozen times and today it was low and slow! No pics of the knife as I have a quart mason jar full of them.

The Washington was also in the 8" depth range. Thankfully, although there was some drizzle about, it rained all weekend and the rock hard ground has now turned to soft butter. Temps in the upper 60's and low 70's too! What a relief from the heat!

And I ran into my namesake a week ago hunting with a buddy of mine!

GL & HH out there!

Ed
Congratulations on those deepies!

Love the camouflage looking turtle.
(09-10-2018 08:31 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations on those deepies!

Love the camouflage looking turtle.

Thanks Tony! And land reptilians such as pictured are Tortoises. This one is an Eastern Box Tortoise. Those markings are different on each one. Like fingerprints on us. He was pretty friendly so he must have been handled and ogled before by someone. And I got no idea how he made it over the RR tracks from the other 80 acres to get where we were hunting! Maybe it's a relative? Chuckle

Ed
Ed, your right. We have them here in NJ but I haven't been to that neck of the woods in a dogs age or better.

Now that the rain has come I can't wait to get our there.....I might even pull out my rain gear to get a head start.

Best of luck,
Tony
Good to see you posting finds again Ed. The Barber looks to be in really fine shape. Nice work! Around here the locals would call your colorful little friend a terrapin and he reminds me of "Mrs. Sweeney", an eastern box who lives in my wife's flower bed and who readily takes bits of squash, carrots, etc from our hands. All the aspects of nature that we see while detecting is a free bonus in my way of looking at things.
Cool finds including the barber, quarter, BSA knife, and tortoise/ turtle/terrapin
(09-11-2018 04:51 PM)ohioturkeyhunter Wrote: [ -> ]Cool finds including the barber, quarter, BSA knife, and tortoise/ turtle/terrapin

Thanks OTH! LOL!

Ed

(09-10-2018 11:47 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Good to see you posting finds again Ed. The Barber looks to be in really fine shape. Nice work! Around here the locals would call your colorful little friend a terrapin and he reminds me of "Mrs. Sweeney", an eastern box who lives in my wife's flower bed and who readily takes bits of squash, carrots, etc from our hands. All the aspects of nature that we see while detecting is a free bonus in my way of looking at things.

Thanks Shade! That's interesting about your domesticated/wild tortoise. And I only saw turtles (varieties of painted and mud) when I was a kid lurking the creeks with my brother. So the box guys are a wonder deep in the woods. It amazes me to this day how they actually survive out there, shell or not. I think your "Mrs. Sweeny", has gotten it down pat! Chuckle

Ed
Reference URL's