Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Hitting the cellars and a reale-y little silver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I took a buddy of mine to some cellar holes that I've been hunting for the past 6 months. He had never been to a cellar hole before, so even seeing one was a delight for him. We actually started off on a salt water beach, but his Garrett Ace 300 didnt like it. It falsed for quite a while before we realized that it wasnt going to work on these beaches. So, up on dry land we went.
The first cellar belonged to a guy who was a sail maker back in the 1830s. We found a handful of crudely made grommets, some with sail fabric still attached. The only coin from that hole was a George III "Genuine British Copper" 1812ish, and some buttons.
We moved to the second cellar where I found the Navy Commander buttons and the 104th NB. I decided to leave my machine off until he found something decent, after all, he is my guest lol. It took him about 20 seconds and he pulled a colonial British copper. We each found a few buttons and some relics. I went over a spot in what would be the front yard...it was very grown up, and I barely had room to swing. I got a choppy 08:38, one way, on the Etrac. Dug the plug and out pops a tiny silver. I yelled to him that i had silver and he was more excited than i was lol. A quick clean revealed a worn half reale. Given the design, a Carolous IIII 1700s-early 1800s. I now have every denomination of Reale, with the exception of a 4 Reale.
We moved again to another site. He didnt get anything from here, but I dug a beautiful holed 1815 Halifax half penny. It was a great day and looking forward to our next dig!
Nice finds RM! Love the real and the halifax, and that bottle is killer nice! Yes Great hunt!

Ed
Those are all super nice finds, and it's very decent of you to share your productive sites with your friend. I stand with Ed on the appreciation of the reale and the bottle. With your sense of humor you should be a headline writer for the newspapers.
Love those finds! Congratulations!

Tony
Thank you! Hes been good to me, like all my hunting buddies. He has the permission on the corn fields I've been going to with him. Any thoughts on age of the bottle? There is a seam on the side, but doesnt go to the top.
I thought your bottle looked old. I was looking for a clue, such as the seam you mentioned. Bottles with a seam that doesn't go all the way up are a combination of blowing and molding and can be as early as the 1820's on up to 1910 or so. You can read all you want about dating bottles at https://sha.org/bottle/dating.htm I don't know much about bottles either, but I read some of this a few months ago when I was looking at a few old bottles I had accumulated some time ago and thought it was interesting.
I don’t think I’ll ever find a reale! I’d love too though! Congratulations!! That’s some sweet finds
Nice half reale, mate! Even here in the UK George 3s that are that nice are rare, well done!
Nice real, RM! Good to see your post Yes
Reference URL's