Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Variety is the SPICE of life!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Best weather day in the whole year at 63F for a HIGH TEMPERATURE! Dear GOD I LOVE IT! And when the weather is like this, I go for trips in the deep woods!

I've been to this area many times but it's so vast that you could never cover it all in a lifetime. So today I targeted an area where I found silvers, got my bearings and expanded out from the spot until I felt comfortable with the terrain as I saw what was around me. On the trip to that area I got the 1920 Wheat which was struck by a buckshot or maybe a 22. And that's pretty unusual because it's near (100') the area where I found that IHP hit by a bullet that I posted a couple years ago. Then, of course, for woods, I was digging a lot of shotgun headstamps. Until I got another signal that read like one but turned out to be a piece of some kind of gold plated bracelet. Then another one about a foot away which turned out to be a related bracelet item. Then two individual signals that for all intents and purpose rang up just like a foil signal. One was the script bracelet ID which apparently had fit into found item # 2 and the other one being some sort of clasp. I thought wow! I better go over this area real good. Even with the sense at 30 and gain at 10, I managed to dig some real deep iron trash. But at this point I was pretty excited about the excursion! I kept swinging along and reminding myself that the day was still pretty new, (2:00PM), and that I wasn't in a race to the finish line, keeping myself aware of being slow and studying the signals. I found the bottle about 50' away and was pleased it was intact. It has seams so it's probably just turn of the 20th century. And then, another 20 feet away, here we go with the shotgun headstamp signals. I dig a headstamp. 12 ga. Medium brass. Probably coon hunting or turkey. Then here's another headstamp signal. HOLY COW it's a V nickel! Can't make out the date even with my LED flashlight. It's dark in the woods on an overcast day, even at 2:30 ish! Well now begins the process of really slowing down and reading the tones and VID.
Another headstamp signal 2 feet away. ANOTHER V nickel! I can't believe my luck at this point. Then for the next hour and a half of painstaking hunting, I have a pouch full of iron trash, headstamps and just plain trash! But on the way out and heading back to the RAV (~1/4 mile away) I get this screamer 00-29. Almost dismissed it as a can top. But hadn't dug anything worthwhile in the last hour and a half and said, I could always use another cantop for the collection! Turns out it was a nickel plated ladies compact. You can read about the company here in this very well researched web spot : http://collectingvintagecompacts.blogspo...rates.html

GL & HH out there!

Ed
Congrats on the "Deep Dark Woods" Finds!!

2 V's in one day is a score!! I bet that gold got ya excited when it popped out!!
(09-23-2018 06:36 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats on the "Deep Dark Woods" Finds!!

2 V's in one day is a score!! I bet that gold got ya excited when it popped out!!

Thanks Ron! Yes it did. That one piece with the chains is too small in length to fit over a wrist so there must be more chain in that spot. One thing I didn't do in checking out the spot is to tweak my settings other than sense and gain. I'll do that when I return.

Ed
That is a very interesting array of finds Ed, and I'm sure you were wondering what might come next with all that jewelry turning up. There must be a story there worth knowing. Was the compact near the rest of the jewelry finds or closer to you car? I would like to think they were all related. I did read the compact maker's history on that link--- very intriguing that you can learn so much about something you just pulled from the earth. One thing I have realized from detecting is that just about whatever you might find, somebody, somewhere will be a collector and can tell you all about it.
(09-23-2018 11:31 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]That is a very interesting array of finds Ed, and I'm sure you were wondering what might come next with all that jewelry turning up. There must be a story there worth knowing. Was the compact near the rest of the jewelry finds or closer to you car? I would like to think they were all related. I did read the compact maker's history on that link--- very intriguing that you can learn so much about something you just pulled from the earth. One thing I have realized from detecting is that just about whatever you might find, somebody, somewhere will be a collector and can tell you all about it.

Thanks for the kudos Shade. That compact was about 500 yards from all the other finds. They themselves were about 1/2 mile from the RAV and among a long row of old and tall trees, real tall, the ones that shed bark that on the ground look like scrolled up paper, Sycamores? It may have been an old wagon road or access road. But as I said, this is a large area. I've found numerous axe heads, a file, trappers traps, a sledge hammer head, numerous Mercs, Roosies, Wheats, IHP's and even a 1915 Canadian dime. (I think it was a 1915, can't remember.) Also some Girl scout items, like snap buttons and the like along with a strewn bunch of wheats. Bullets, shotgun headstamps and shell casings like a flipping war zone! The area, I believe, was heavily hunted, hiked, picniced and camped over several decades at the turn of the 19th century. Unfortunately, and this is a clue, there is no one left to tell us this and yet it's very near the river. So some of this stuff may have been brought in from floods.(?) The entire area is roughly ~200 acres. Some old forest with huge trees and some timbered areas yet still developing with trees 50 to 100 years of age. It's also, nearer the river, a very popular fishing spot. I'm never alone there. People are hiking along the river trails, walking their dogs and some tough ones doing cross country running. I found this piece on Sunday. Rang up a solid 8-23. And this was a half mile from the Saturday finds, a half mile from the RAV, and a quarter mile from the river. Where did it come from? Much smaller than a dime. 3" down! There are always questions that need answers Shade. If there weren't any questions to answer Shade, all I could hope for is to die in my sleep. Swing on bro. No matter what it takes.

Ed
Ed, congratulations on those cool finds. Two V's in one hunt is a bonus.

Maybe the chain was a watch fob or some type of vest chain.

Best of luck,

Tony
(09-24-2018 10:45 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Ed, congratulations on those cool finds. Two V's in one hunt is a bonus.

Maybe the chain was a watch fob or some type of vest chain.

Best of luck,

Tony

Shocked Thanks Tony! I never even thought Watch Fob or Vest attachment! YesYes

Ed
It amazes me how you keep digging up cool finds out of these places that have been hunted hard
Reference URL's